Sunday, December 9, 2007

Serendipity 奇缘 - Chapter 47

Chapter 47: Filming with TVXQ

Two weeks later...

Filming was to commence, and my ankle had already recovered fully, with the help of a very insistent Jaejoong bugging me everyday to not walk too much around the apartment, and to take my medicine on time, not to work too long, etc, etc.

First week of filming went smoothly and the guys provided loads of free entertainment for the entire crew, cos they were always up to some crazy antics, monkeying around the set when they were waiting for their turns. Micky would pick on Xiah on some small matter, and the rest would join in and mass-bully Xiah. When I realised what they were doing, I would have to separate "the root of the problem" from the rest - which is Xiah, not Micky. Once Xiah was called away from the rest, they would quieten down for a while, as the "victim" was gone. But after a while, Jaejoong and Max would start some silly brawl, hitting each other continuously or chasing after one another. For these two, I just had to walk over and glare at the two of them silently. They will get the cue to stop it now, or bear the cost of getting it from me later when we go back to the apartment.

When we were into the second week of filming, it would have seemed to the rest of the crew that they were already very comfortable with working with me, the foreigner, as they started to tease me like the rest of the SM staff whom they worked with. But none of them could detect that we already knew each other before I came to Korea, all assumed that they were just comfortable working with me cos I was nearer to their ages than the rest of the foreign crew. Which is a blessing, cos we didn't have to be so formal in public anymore. We could just be ourselves. Max started calling me Nuna again, cos he popped the question in the van one day when their manager was around, and he agreed that Max should call me Nuna, since I was close to their ages, as long as I was alright with it.

But with Jaejoong it was less restrictive than before, but he still has to adhere to our agreement conditions or he would get the cold shoulder from me. I would just ignore him and walk away, if he went too far. Like once he tried to plead with me like how he does to the rest of the members, attempting to look all cute and innocent, holding my hand and all. I just ignored him, pretended that I didn't know what he was talking about, and walked away.

As the filming went on, I realised that it was closer and closer to the episodes where the plot changes occur. Soon it was already time to film those much dreaded scenes...

Jaejoong: WHAT ARE ALL THESE???!!!!!

Producer: It's a plot change. There's new characters coming into the show to spice things up. Women and girls all like to see these kinds of things like romance.

Jaejoong: But we're TVXQ, don't you think it's a bit unsafe for the female artistes that act opposite us in such scenes? You know how our fans are like...

Jaejoong looked pleadingly at the rest of the members to back him up.

U-Know: Yeah... Our fans... They can be a bit over the top when it comes to such things...

Manager: No worries guys. Your fans can tell that it's just acting. Different from real life. It's not as if it's you with your girlfriend kissing in front of them.

All five looked at each other, unsure of what to do next.

Micky: But Hyung... you know our fans...

Manager: It's fine guys... I've already discussed this with the production team, and we'll make sure it won't be touchy for the fans... So don't worry unnecessarily...

All five nodded dejectedly.

I knew it was no use for them to oppose the plot change. It had already been decided before they knew it. I knew it, but I couldn't let them in on it. And it made me quite upset to have to keep secrets from the one I love, but I had no choice. It was for his own good, cos I knew he would have such a huge reaction to it.

Kiki: Come on guys, cheer up... You should be happy you get to date pretty girls in the show!!!

I forced a smile on my face.

Kiki's thoughts: And... to kiss them...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A day before the dreaded kissing scene....

Crew member: Hey Kiki-shi... You left your stuff over here...

I rushed over to the crew member, who was flashing my file in the air.

Kiki: Oh thanks so much... I almost forgot about it... Would be in huge trouble if I lost it... Can't thank you enough... What can I do to repay you?

Crew member grinned at me.

Crew member: Hmm.... How about.... A dinner treat from a pretty foreign girl.... Not bad... *hee hee*

I blushed and smiled embarassingly.

Kiki: Ha ha ha... Don't tease me... I'm NO WHERE near the word pretty... I'm just plain... And I'll be asking the other crew along too... Nothing like a good meal to end the day's work... Ain't it?

Crew member: What? Nothing special for your lifesaver? *ponders* Well alright then... It's a date... See ya...

I smiled and watched as he went off.

Kiki's thoughts: Gosh... These men are so... Can't they be more normal and work more professionally... How I wish I am a man now...

I took my file and walked towards the guys who were doing their make-up not far away. Jaejoong was looking at me when I walked over.

Kiki: Jaejoong-shi, is there something wrong?

Jaejoong glared at me angrily.

Jaejoong's thoughts: What does she think she's doing, flirting with another man in the public like that?!!!! Can she not SEE that that lecherous man is trying to do? Can she not SEE that her fiancé, me, am around!!! SO INFURIATING!!!

Jaejoong kept silent and stormed off, leaving me confused. I gave chase.

Kiki: What's wrong Jaejoong-shi? Are you not feeling well? Do you need anything?

Jaejoong stopped and turned to face me.

Jaejoong: YES!!!! I JUST NEED YOU TO SHUT UP AND LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!

I was taken aback by his sudden outburst. I blinked a few times, trying to register what had just happened. He turned and stormed out of the studio. Max and Micky who had just finished their make-up had witnessed the entire scene that had happened earlier and his entire outburst. Micky gave chase after Jaejoong, leaving Max to tend to me.

Micky pulls Jaejoong into an empty toilet and locks it from inside.

Micky: Hyung... What happened? Why did you shout at Kiki? It's so unlike you to do something like this...

Jaejoong: Didn't you see what was happening just now? That crew was flirting with her and she didn't reject him!!! IN FRONT OF ME!!!

Micky: Hyung... Don't be so daft... He made an advance, but that doesn't mean that she will have to accept it. Didn't you hear her say that she's inviting the rest of the crew too?

Jaejoong: But I can't stand it!!! I don't want her flirting with other men, with me around, or without me around... I don't want her talking like that to other men... PERIOD...

Micky: You're being unreasonable, hyung... It's all part of her work to work with all these crew from all walks of life... You can't blame her for having to go along with their harmless teasing, it's just teasing... It's not her fault... And furthermore, it's not like she's engaged to them... She already has you in her heart...

Jaejoong: I guess... But when I saw it, I just couldn't bear it... My anger just rose...

Micky: Just apologise to her later when you get back yeah... She doesn't deserve this...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Meanwhile...

I stood frozen at the spot. Unable to move an inch. Too shocked.

Max: Nuna... Are you okay?

Silence.

Max: Hyung was just being daft... It must be one of his bad moods again... Don't take it to heart...

Silence.

Max: Nuna...

I closed my eyes and swallowed hard and took a deep breath. I was shattered.

I didn't know what was happening at all. I didn't know why Jaejoong was moody. I didn't know what made him angry. Was it something I did? Or say? Was he too stressed from the filming of the much dreaded scene? I didn't know. But one thing I did know. The filming had to go on.

So I forced myself to swallow back my sorrow and tears and put on a brave front.

Kiki: I'm fine Max. Don't worry about me. I've gotta go and check on the rest of the cast now. Just stay around here. We'll be starting filming soon.

And I dashed off to the make-up area before he could say anything more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I busied myself with the other cast and didn't re-appear until they were all gone on set for filming. I stayed near the producer, and made sure they had no chance of talking to me at all. When the filming was almost done, I excused myself saying that I had to get back to office to settle the next day's materials, and left early. I didn't want to deal with the guys. And most of all. I didn't want to see Jaejoong. At least not for now. I felt very confused.

I got back to the office and started working like crazy with tomorrow's schedule, etc. After everything was done. I re-read the script. Again and again. I wanted myself to be able to envision the scene before it was filmed tomorrow, so that I would be mentally and emotionally prepared for it. Even though now I was even less prepared than before, after Jaejoong's sudden outburst before today's shoot.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Producer: Thanks for the hard work everyone!!! It's a wrap for today!!!

ALL: YEAH!!!

Max: Hyung, where's Nuna?

All of them looked around searching for Kiki.

U-Know: Weird... I thought I saw her beside the producer while we were filming?

Xiah: Yeah I hardly talked to her today. She was always beside the producer.

Micky looked at Jaejoong, who was frowning.

Micky: Hyung... I think you really upset her this time...

All of them keep quiet when they saw their manager walking towards them.

Manager: Guys... Let's head on back to the apartment now... Get some rest, cos tomorrow is the big scene!!! Especially Jaejoong...

All: Huh? What do you mean?

Manager: We're filming the love declaration scene for Jaejoong tomorrow... The girl who had been chasing him all this time, he will realise that he had actually fallen for her... And he will declare his love for her in the rain...

All: WHAT??!!!!!

Manager: Ha ha ha... Is that excitement I'm detecting from Jaejoong? Or jealousy from the others? Ha ha ha... You'll all get your chance... It's just Jaejoong's turn first tomorrow...

All five looked at each other and forced themselves to act normally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fifi: WHAT!!!!!???

Theo: Tomorrow is the love declaration scene and...

Fifi: It's stormy on the frontline for Jaejoong and Kiki...

Theo: U-Know, isn't there anything you guys can do?

U-Know: I'm afraid not...

Xiah: We don't even know where Kiki is now... We thought she'd come back here...

Max: But she's not even here... And she won't even take my calls... It's all your fault hyung...

Micky did a zip-it signal to Max. But it was already too late.

Max: You've drove Nuna away from us all...

Everyone looked at Jaejoong to see his reaction. He just kept quiet, staring at a fixed spot.

Fifi: *sigh* Let me try if she'll answer my call...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz*

My phone vibrated on my work desk. But I didn't hear it at all. I had fallen asleep from reading the script so many times and crying each time as I re-read it.

Theo: How is it? Is she answering?

Fifi: No answer...

Theo: Hey... You guys... I think you'd better go search for her... I'm kinda worried for her... She is in a foreign country after all... Jaejoong...

Silence.

Fifi was furious. She couldn't take it anymore.

Fifi: KIM JAEJOONG!!! YOU GET UP THIS MINUTE AND GO OUT AND BRING KIKI BACK NOW!!! OR EVERYONE HERE CAN FORGET ABOUT GOING TO BED TONIGHT!!!

With Fifi's screaming everyone started scrambling towards the door. Except Jaejoong.

Fifi: HEY!!! DIDN'T YOU HEAR WHAT I JUST SAID!!! GET OUT AND LOOK FOR HER NOW!!!

Fifi shouted into Jaejoong's ears, with Xiah trying to pull her away.

Xiah: Fifi, hyung's upset too. So don't be so harsh on him now... He knows he is in the wrong...

As random and sudden as his outburst, Jaejoong suddenly shot up from his seat.

Jaejoong: I'm going back to sleep, I've got a big shoot tomorrow. You can go look for her if you want. She's probably dining with her beloved crew members. Bye.

All: HYUNG!!!

Fifi: ARGH!!!! KIM JAEJOONG!!! IS THIS HOW YOU TREAT YOUR FIANCÉE!!!

Jaejoong carried on walking out, ignoring Fifi's screams.

Jaejoong's thoughts: Mianeyo guys... Mianeyo Kiki... I know you would want the filming to go on more than anything... So forgive me for not looking for you tonight... Mianeyo...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The big day...

I awoke in my office at 7am, to the sound of my handphone alarm ringing. It was Jaejoong's voice doing a morning call. How ironic...

I rubbed my eyes and realised that I had fallen asleep in the office. I looked at the time and dash off back to my apartment to take a shower before going to the filming location. When I reached my apartment, the guys had already gone back to their apartment, and the girls were sleeping on the sofa. I had no time to explain things to them, so I crept quietly into the bathroom to wash up and change my clothes before rushing off.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jaejoong had woke up at 7.30am. He got up and started making breakfast for himself and the rest. Then he heard my apartment door open and close. He went over and peeped at the eyehole. Nothing. 15 minutes later, he heard it again. And there was also the sound of keys falling onto the floor. This time he dashed over and opened the door. I was locking the door and had dropped the keys in my absent-minded state. I was picking them up when he opened the door. My heart skipped a beat when the door opened. He looked at me, suddenly not knowing what to say. I avoided eye contact with him and buried my head in my bag, while I waited for the lift. Seeing me avoiding all eye contact with him, he felt his heart burn with guilt. He wanted so badly to apologise so that he could hug me in his arms. But something kept holding him back.

The lift came and I dashed in, and pressed door close, not wanting to give him a chance to say anything to me.

Jaejoong's thoughts: Mianeyo...

No comments: