Monday, January 29, 2007

Serendipity 奇缘 - Chapter 4

Chapter 4: The Missed Calls

Back at the hotel after a day's tour to freshen up before dinner...


"Jaejoong, why were you so mean to Kiki just now? I thought you were the one who wanted her to bring us around the city?" asked U-Know.

"Yeah, hyung, you were really mean to her just now. I mean, you didn't even talk to her at all the entire day. Well, it doesn't help that Yunho-hyung and Yoochun-hyung were both bugging her the entire day with photographer duties..." added Max.

"Hey hey, Changmin, I thought you were not really paying attention to the tour, how come you know that it was me and U-Know-hyung bugging her and not you and Junsu-hyung?" retorted Mickey.

"Cos we were bugging someone else. Right Junsu-hyung?"

"Nei, Changmin, Jaejoong-hyung, what's wrong with you today? You were so excited in the morning when we had a guide. But now you look like you want to kill somebody." enquired Xiah.

Jaejoong looked deep in thoughts.

"HYUNG!!!"

All four of them shouted in unison.

Their shouts seemed to have sparked out something in Jaejoong's mind, and his eyes show a glimmer of realization.

"Guys, I gotta go now. I'll meet you guys later at the restaurant for dinner."

Jaejoong dashed out of the hotel and waits impatiently at the lobby taxi stand, as he whisked his phone out of his pocket and dials a number.

"Come on, pick up the phone!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*it's time for love...somebody to love...*

My phone was ringing in my bag. But I was away in another room, struggling to fix the problematic video... So I couldn't hear the ringing at all...

Moreover, I was too depressed to take any calls...

I just wanted to bury myself in work right now, and forget about everything else...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"ARGH!!!"

Jaejoong lets out a frustrated grunt. Then he remembered something. He dialled another number.

"Hello.."

"Fifi, did you manage to get Kiki? Is she coming for dinner later?" Jaejoong asked uncertainly.

"Well hi Jaejoong-oppa, I think she's not done with her work yet. She's not given me a call yet."

Jaejoong frowned.

"Do you know where Kiki's office is? Can you tell me how to get there from my hotel?"

"Yeah I do......."

Jaejoong takes down the address, cuts the line (leaving Fifi blur and confused), and hops onto the coming cab.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"AHHHH... AT LAST... It's DONE!!!"

"Thank you so much for sacrificing your personal time, and rushing back to settle this problem, otherwise we would have been in deep trouble..."

"It's ok. I understand. It's the nature of our work. "On call 24/7"."

"Well I think I'll go off first. I'll leave you here alone to lock up, okay. Bye."

"Yeah, that's fine. See ya. Bye"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Ding dong..ding dong... ding dong...*

Rapid and urgent ringing of the bell was heard from the editing room where I was in. I wonder if my colleague had forgotten to bring back anything.

"I'm coming, I'm coming, hold on, one minute... stop jamming the bell, it's giving me headaches!!"

As I reached the frosted door, I saw a silhouette that looked different from that of my colleague's. I didn't know who it was.

"Who is it?" I asked curiously.

Silence.

"Who is it?" I asked again.

"It's... me..."

I swallowed hard when I heard the reply. Whoever the person at the door was, he sounded so much like Jaejoong, that I felt my heart skip a beat. I thought I had gone mad from the day's surreal tour. So I asked again.

"Who is it?"

"....It's... me... Kiki... I'm Jaejoong..."

I couldn't believe my ears. How on earth did he know that I worked here? And how did he find his own way here? And what's more... WHAT IS HE DOING HERE???

*Ding dong..ding dong... ding dong...*

I stepped away from the door and ran upstairs for my phone.

*Ding dong..ding dong... ding dong...*

I fumbled through my bag for my phone.

*Ding dong..ding dong... ding dong...*

When I opened it, I saw...

50 missed calls...


*Ding dong..ding dong... ding dong...*

I clicked on the missed calls...

It was an unknown number...


*Ding dong..ding dong... ding dong...*

I scrolled down the list of missed calls. All of them were from the same unknown number. And they were all dialled within the duration of half an hour. The time needed to get from his hotel to my office. Could it be Jaejoong who was calling me repeatedly?

I brushed that thought aside. And I dialled the number from which all the missed calls were from.


*Ding dong..ding dong... it's time for love... somebody to love...*

"Hello.... May I know who called? This is Kiki here..."

"..."

"Hello..."

"It's... me... Jaejoong..."


I dropped down into my seat. I was too shocked for words.

"... I'm outside your office now..."

"..."

"...Can you please let me in? I need to talk to you..."

"...*beep*"

I cut the line. I must be too confused. I don't think any of this is happening. It must have been my own imagination all this time. I'm too tired... All I need now is a good rest...

*it's time for love... somebody to love...*

I looked at my phone. It was Fifi. I took a deep breathe and answered it.

"Hello, Fifi. How was the rest of the day's tour?... Everyone... enjoyed themselves?"

"Hey what's happening? Is Hero at your office now? The guys told me he left the hotel suddenly, and then he called me to ask for your office address."

"WHAT!!!"

I dropped my phone, and rushed down to the door. I could still see the silhoutte standing at the door, with his head down, and his hesitating finger near the doorbell.

*ding dong*

When I opened the door, I saw the familiar silhouette transform into Jaejoong.

The one that I met at the hotel this morning.

The one that was happy that we agreed to be their guide for the day.

He looked up as I opened the door, and his eyes widened with hope.

No comments: