Sunday, September 9, 2007

Destined 遐想 - Chapter 33

Chapter 33: Memories

Roy: I wish that we can be like this forever....

No response.

Roy: Ying...

Roy looked down at me who had my head on his chest, I did not move at all. He grabbed me by the shoulders and pushed me up so that he could get up. He took a look at me and realised that I had fallen asleep on his chest. I looked so at ease and calm now. Such a difference from earlier today when my cousins left. He placed my head on his shoulder and his arm around me. He looked up in the starry sky.

Roy's thoughts: How nice it would be if we could stay like this forever.... You lying in my arms, enjoying the sea breeze and the beautiful night sky... Together...

He looked down lovingly at me sleeping peacefully in his arms. I shivered in my sleep as a cold gush of wind blew towards us.

Roy's thoughts: She must be feeling cold. Better get her back inside the house before she catches a cold.


Not wanting to wake me, Roy slipped his hand below me and scooped me up into his arms and walked back to the house. He brought me to the guest room, and placed me on the bed and pulled the blanket over me. Then he sat on the bed beside me.

Roy's thoughts: Hmmmm... This reminds me of what happened after you invited me to your house for Christmas...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last Christmas eve...

I opened the door to my hostel hesitantly. I wasn't sure what I did was right. Roy did seem pitiful to be alone on Christmas eve. But he was a total stranger. And I am a total foreigner. So I didn't know if it was sane or even SAFE to bring him to my hostel. But there wasn't much to be done since I've already said the invite, and we can't stay outside as all the restaurants and shops are closed already. So I had no choice but to bring him back to my hostel, cos we have been loitering around aimlessly for two hours and I was tired and hungry.

Once I opened the door I rushed into the hostel and started making sure the place was decent enough to entertain guests. Fortunately for me, I had just cleared my laundry yesterday and the hostel was quite clean, apart from some notes and books laying around. I grabbed them and placed them on my study table.

Roy walked in behind me and shut the door behind him. His eyes scanned the hostel curiously.

Ying: Do have a seat, and make yourself comfortable.

He sat down on the nearest sofa, and started taking his jacket off.

Ying: Erm... I'm going to make some food for my dinner. Have you eaten yet?

He shook his head.

Ying: Erm... Do you want me to make some for you too? But I'm not a very good....

Roy: Yes.

He replied promptly, interrupting my words. I turned and started taking off my jacket and placing it on the hanger before going to the kitchenette to prepare the meal. His eyes followed me until I went into the kitchenette, which was blocked from his view. Then he started scanning my hostel again.

Roy's thoughts: So she's a foreign student... I wonder what is she studying...

He got up and walked towards my study table. He noticed some notes and textbooks on the table and picked them up to take a look.

Roy's thoughts: Video production... Interesting... So she's studying a media course... No wonder she's so forthright in her words... Sarcastic and piercing... Like a journalist....

He placed the books and notes back onto my study table. Then he walked towards the kitchenette, where I was squatting in front of the fridge, trying to think of what to prepare for the meal. He walked up to me and bend down behind me.

Roy: What are you doing?

When I heard his voice I got a shock and tried to stand up, but when I did, my head hit his chin, as his head was right above mine.

Roy: OUCH!!!

Ying: OUCH!!!


Both of us rubbed our injured spot gingerly. We looked at each other angrily.

Ying: WHAT do you think you are doing standing behind me like that?!!!

Roy: I was just wondering what are you doing squatting there, when you are supposed to be cooking. How would I know you would suddenly stand up?!!!!


Ying: YOU... *sigh* I can't believe this...


I buried my face back into the fridge and grabbed some tomatoes, onions, garlic and meat out to make spaghetti. I grabbed a packet of spaghetti and a pot and pan from the cupboard, and started filling the pot with water. Then I went about preparing the ingredients for the spaghetti sauce. Seeing me bury myself in cooking and ignoring him, he stepped out of the kitchenette and sat back on the sofa.

Roy's thoughts: Aish~ This girl is sooooo NOT gentle at all... She should be asking me how I am, whether I am hurt, instead of burying herself in cooking... *sigh* no sense of consideration at all... what a way to treat a guest... tsk tsk...

He rubbed his chin gingerly. Fortunately, the knock wasn't very hard, so he didn't hurt himself, but it just feel painful cos of the impact.

After what seemed like half an hour, the spaghetti was finally ready. And Ying plated it onto two plates and placed them on the table. She took her cutlery out and placed them on the table.

Ying's thoughts: Now I have to go get him to come and eat... *sigh* why am I always getting myself into such weird situations?!!!!

I walked out from the kitchenette. Roy was still sitting on the sofa, rubbing his chin. I walked up to him.

Ying: Weh... The food's ready... Come and eat if you want...

And I walked back to the kitchenette, not even waiting for his response. Roy looked up at me in surprise.

Roy: HEY.... Is this how you treat your guests?!!!! Not very cordial I must say...

Hearing his words, I felt more angry with myself for inviting him back, and for being such a busybody. I ignored his words and went back to the kitchenette. I took his plate of spaghetti and a set of cutlery and took it back outside. I placed it on the coffee table in front of the sofa and walked back to the kitchenette to eat mine. I didn't want to eat my Christmas Eve dinner with him. Cos everything he said or did is getting on my nerves, and I didn't want to flare up on Christmas eve...

Roy looked at the plate of spaghetti and me walking away from him.

Roy's thoughts: She must be mad for me taunting her... Why must I always say such mean things when she is just being kind inviting me, a total stranger, back to spend Christmas with her? And how dare I nitpick on her for not being a good host, when I haven't been a good guest either...

He leaned forward and started eating.

I sat down on the dining table and started on my plate of spaghetti.

Ying's thoughts: STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!! I swear I am NOT going to be NICE or KIND AGAIN!!!! So much for being kind...

I stuffed the spaghetti into my mouth angrily. After a while, I've finished my spaghetti and took my plate to wash at the basin. Roy heard me washing up and took his empty plate into the kitchenette. He walked over to the basin and placed it into the basin. I took it from the basin, and silently started soaping it. He didn't step away, but stood there as I was rinsing the plate and cutlery. After I was done washing up, I stepped away from the basin and walked out of the kitchenette, leaving Roy behind.

I took my washing up stuff and took my keys and walked out of the room to go to the restroom to wash up. I wanted to wash up and rest soon, so that he could leave my hostel room and leave me alone. I didn't want to see him, or even speak to him now. I was so angry with him.

Roy walked out of the kitchenette and saw me walk out of my hostel room, slamming the door behind me.

Roy's thoughts: She must really be mad with me... I'd better make myself scarce... And get out of her sight...

He took a piece of paper from my notepad, and wrote a note:
I don't know your name yet...
But I noticed on your books the word Ying, so I supposed that is your name....

I apologize for my bad behaviour at the church and at your hostel tonight...

I really shouldn't be doing all that...

I'm sorry...

But I think this will be the last time we'll ever be seeing each other...

So you won't hear any more of my nonsense again...
Anyway, I don't think you want to see me ever again...
So...

Thanks so much for your meal...

And your hospitality...

Towards a total stranger like me...

Goodbye...

Regards,

Roy


He placed it on the coffee table and left my hostel quietly. When he was downstairs, he looked up at my hostel room again.

Roy's thoughts: Thanks for your invite... I guess I won't be hungry when I get on my way...

He turned and started walking away.

I walked back from the restroom to my hostel room. When I went in, I noticed that Roy was no longer around, and I saw the note on my coffee table. I felt a pang of guilt. Did he leave cos I made him feel unwelcomed? I must really be a bad host... I sat on the sofa where Roy had sat earlier. I felt something beneath me. I reached beneath me and got hold of something. I took it up and realised that it was a handphone. And it wasn't mine. Oh gosh, it must be Roy's!

I got up, grabbed my keys and ran out of my hostel room. I ran out of the hostel block and looked around aimlessly. Where could he be? There were too many possibilities! I looked down at the snow to think, and noticed a trail of tracks heading towards the bus stop. Without thinking, I ran towards that direction. True enough I saw Roy standing at the bus stop! And a bus had just reached the stop and he was going to get on-board.

Ying: ROY!!!!! ROY!!!! WAIT!!!!

When he heard my shouts, he turned around and looked at me in surprise. I ran towards him and when I reached him, I was panting like crazy.

Ying: Your.... your....

Roy: Hang on... catch your breath first...


I took a few deep breaths and swallowed hard. I raised my hand holding his handphone.

Ying: Your.... your.... hand.... handphone....

Roy looked at me in disbelief. He didn't believe that I would run out after him after what he did, just to return his handphone to him. Moreover, it was something that he would no longer need, anymore...

Roy: You ran out all the way to give this back to me?

Ying: Yeah....

Roy: But how did you know where I went?


Ying: I don't know... I just tried my luck...


Bus driver: Hey...
this is the last bus... So do you guys wanna get on-board or not?

We looked up at the bus driver then back at each other. Roy turned and replied.

Roy: No thanks... Sorry for keeping you waiting...

The bus drove off, leaving the two of us at the bus stop. There was an awkward silence. As we didn't know what to say to each other.

Ying: Aichooooooo.....

Roy: Are you okay?


Ying: I think so...


I rubbed my shoulders with my hands, then I realised something was missing. I looked down at myself, and realised that I had forgotten to wear my jacket in my haste to run after him.

Ying: I think I should be getting back then... Since you've got your handphone back...

I turned to walk back towards my hostel.

Ying: Aiiiiichoooooo aiiiiichoooooo.....

I shivered as a gust of cold wind blew past me. I quickened my pace as I was feeling the chill crawl slowly into my skin. Suddenly I felt a jacket cover my shivering body. I looked up and saw Roy's hands placing his own jacket over me.

Ying: Roy... It's okay... I'll be fine once I reach my hostel... You need your jacket more than me, cos you're out here.... And you've just missed the last bus...

Roy: I'm not leaving yet.... I'll accompany you back to your hostel first... It's not safe for you to be out here alone at night... Let's go...


He placed his arms around me and ushered me towards my hostel.

Ying's thoughts: Actually he is quite caring, when he is not irritating me...

We entered my hostel, and sat down at the sofa. There was an awkward silence again. I know he had just missed the last bus. So he won't be able to get home. Should I offer to let him stay for the night? But isn't it too weird? Cos he is still a total stranger...

Roy: Erm... I think I'd better be going...

He got up and walked towards the door.

Ying: But... you've just missed the last bus... How are you going to get home?

Roy: I'll find a way...

I got up from the sofa.

Ying: Wait...

He paused in his tracks.

Ying: Erm... If you don't mind, why don't you stay here for the night and leave tomorrow when there's a bus, and when it's not so cold...

His entire face lit up when he heard that.

Roy: You sure?

Ying: Yeah...

Roy: Okay...

Ying: But you'll need to sleep on the couch... cos I don't have anywhere else for you... I don't have a guest room, or guest bed...

Roy: Anywhere's fine...

Ying: Alright.... So I guess... I'll let you rest then... I'll get you a blanket and a pillow...

I walked towards my cupboard to get him a new blanket and a pillow. When I walked back out, he was sitting on the sofa already.

Ying: Here... Goodnight... Merry Christmas...

I turned to walk to my bed.

Roy: Thanks... Goodnight.... Merry Christmas to you too...

I climbed onto my bed and turned to face the other side, so that he won't see me sleeping. Roy looked at me as I slept and got onto the sofa to sleep too.

No comments: