Friday, September 28, 2007

Destined 遐想 - Chapter 36

Chapter 36: Dinner Date

*Ring ring ring*

I reached over and took a look at the alarm clock, it was already 3pm. I had slept through lunch, and it was now already time for me to take my medicine, and...

Ying's thoughts: If I want to meet Roy for dinner at 6.30pm at the Square, I would have to get up now and get myself ready... But do I want to see him again?

I tousled my hair, and got out of my bed, and walked towards the kitchenette to look for something to eat before taking my medicine. I opened the fridge and saw a bowl of porridge with a note on top. I took out the bowl and opened the note.

Ying,
Remember to have some food before you take your medicine.
Here's some porridge from earlier....
I know it doesn't taste fantastic, but at least it'll fill you up before the medicine goes in.
Roy
PS: Warm up the porridge first before you eat it!

I smiled. A warm feeling floated in my heart. For the entire period I was studying here, this was the first time I felt warmth in a foreign land. No doubt my course mates were nice to me, but this just felt was different. I don't know why, but I felt like I wasn't alone on a day when others are spending with their families. And I was alone. Cos almost the entire hostel's students have gone home for Christmas. Except me. I didn't want to waste the money going back to Singapore and back after a few days. So here I am. Spending a family holiday alone in a ghostly deserted hostel, in a foreign country. Fantastic...

I placed the bowl into the microwave and heated it up. After that I finished it in the kitchenette, before taking my medicine. I took the bowl and spoon to the sink to wash up. And as I was washing up. My mind wandered off to the note...

I'll be waiting for you at the Square at 6.30pm...
I'll be waiting there till I see you...

I shook my head and finished my washing and walked back to my bed.

Ying's thoughts: I guess there's no reason why I should not go, since it's an apology dinner. And he was mean to me the entire time, so why shouldn't he apologise? It's only normal courtesy. Nothing more. Yeah I should go. And eat as much as my current sick body can take. So smart of him to give a treat now when I am sick, so I can't eat that much...

I nodded my head firmly, and walked over to gather my things to take a shower and get myself ready. I selected my favourite cream knitted sweater and dark blue skinny jeans, and I took out my deep dark purplish red corduroy jacket. I went for a shower, and got back to the hostel to change into the clothes I prepared, and did my make-up. When I was ready, I took a look at my image in the mirror.

Ying's thoughts: Hmmm... Done... Looking good... WAIT... Why am I dressing up to meet him? It's just a casual dinner.

I walked over and sat down at the sofa. I took a look at the time, it was just 4pm. I decided it was too early for me to leave the hostel. Cos I didn't want to appear to eager. So I switched on the TV to watch some programme.

Probably due to the medicine, I felt drowsy after a while, and dozed off on the sofa.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Roy was standing outside in the freezing cold at the Square waiting for me at 6pm. He arrived early, and had brought a stalk of yellow rose for Ying, as the shop owner told him that yellow roses represent apology.

He watched as couples and families walked by him happily. He took a look at the yellow rose and smiled. Then he looked at his watch. 6.30pm.

Roy's thoughts: Where is she? Will she come?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I startled awake on the sofa. I looked at the time immediately. 7.30pm.

Ying's thoughts: Oh no!!! I overslept again...

I got up and rushed to the door, and down the stairs. I ran all the way to the bus stop. After waiting for 5 minutes, no bus came. I looked at the schedule. The next bus was 30 minutes later. I started running up the road, trying to hail a cab. But after waiting for another 20 minutes, there was no cab in sight too. I took a look at my watch. 8pm.

Ying's thoughts: It's been 1.5 hours already... I think he must have gone off already... No point for me to go down now...

I started walking disappointedly back to my hostel. And sat myself down on my sofa, and stared at the TV blankly. Slowly, I dozed back off to sleep. Without realising that I had forgotten to do something very important....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was already 9pm at the Square. Roy was freezing in the cold, as he had been standing there for 3 whole hours, and he was worried sick about Ying. He didn't know if she was still so sick that she couldn't come out to meet him, or she just didn't want to meet him. He couldn't take it any more, he couldn't wait another second. He ran towards the main road and hailed a cab.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Roy dashed up the stairs and got to my hostel door, just as he was about to knock, he realised that the door wasn't locked. He opened the door slowly and noticed that I was lying on the sofa without a jacket on. He ran over hurriedly and shook me worriedly.

Roy: YING!!! Are you okay?!!!

I opened my eyes drowsily, and I saw Roy's worried face looking at me.

Ying: I...

Roy pulled me into his arms and gave me a hug.

Roy: I'm so glad you are alright... I thought something happened to you when I noticed the door unlocked and you were lying here unconscious on the sofa... I thought...

I was dumbfounded by his actions. And I didn't know how to react. I pushed myself away from him awkwardly.

There was an awkward silence. As Roy realised what he had just done.

Roy's thoughts: What got into me? I just got to know her. We're not even friends yet. Why am I so worried about her? What am I doing? Hugging her like that?

Roy: Sorry...

Ying: It's okay... I should be the one apologising, cos I... stood you up... I'm sorry...

Roy looked at me. Then he suddenly remembered the rose that he had bought for me. He searched around for it frantically.

Ying: What's wrong? Did you lose something?

Then he saw it, lying on the floor, as he had dropped it when he dashed in straight to me on the sofa. He got up and picked it up. And he walked back over to me.

Roy: This is for you...

He passed the rose to me.

Ying: Thanks...

I took the rose from him and looked at it quizzically.

Ying: Why are you give me a yellow rose?

Roy: I wanted to give you something to show my sincerity, so I wanted to buy some flowers, but I didn't have enough money for a whole bouquet, so I bought one stalk... And the shopowner said that yellow rose represents apology... So I bought it for you.

Ying: Oh... I see... Thanks... But you really shouldn't have... I'm not like other normal gals that love to be showered with flowers everyday... I just need...

Roy looked at me attentively. But I stopped myself from going further. This wasn't the kind of idle chat that I should be saying to Roy. I looked away.

Ying: Sorry I messed up your plans for the evening AGAIN... I guess I really bring bad luck to you... Sorry...

No comments: