Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Destined 遐想 - Chapter 5

Chapter 5: The Surprise

I felt that there was something behind me at the door.

Feeling uneasy, I was doubtful of what I would see when I turned around.

But I had to turn around.

So…

“SURPRISE! I’m here again!”

A familiar yet foreign voice came from behind me.

Who is it?

Flashes of memories of people that I’ve met before went past my mind.

Roy.

I turned around.

He looked so much more cheerful now. So much more alive. So much more charming. So much more difficult to resist.

“Roy! My gosh! What were you thinking? You gave me a shock man! You KNOW how I HATE being alone in the room… And having to deal with such weird encounters aren’t helping!” I complained helplessly whilst slightly shaking from shock.

“Well… I thought I’ll give you a surprise… didn’t think that you’ll be so frightened by it…” Roy replied disappointedly.

Seeing his disappointment, I felt a pang of guilt.

But I was indeed frightened by the surprise and was still shaking from shock.

Suddenly, Roy noticed the shaking, and he moved closer to me, and closed the door.

Barely inches separated the two of us.

I couldn’t look at him this close!

I looked down. Away from direct eye contact with his eyes.

My breathing started to get more rapid.

My heart was pounding like crazy.

And needless to say, the shaking hasn’t ceased, but became more prevalent.

He placed his arms on my shoulder.

“Are you okay? You seem to be shaking quite a bit… … from the shock??…” He asked concernedly.

The next thing I know, he was already pulling me closer to him…

*Knock Knock*

“…Erm… I ….I…I gotta get …the …the…door… There’s … there’s…someone…” I stammered out an excuse as I tried to pull myself away from him, and to open the door.

And since he was standing near the door, I had to stand next to him to open the door.

When I felt him walk towards the interior of the room as I opened the door, I breathed a sign of relief.

“Cous, what took you so long? We almost thought you weren’t in. Toro and Penny brought us to so many places to shop today! And the amusement park rides were sooo COOL!!! You should have gone with us…. Oh Roy! How come you’re here?” Ning rattled on the very second she stepped into my room.

I busied myself with helping Ning and Ting get their shopping bags into the room, when I sensed that Roy was looking at me.

“…I dropped by to give a surprise visit…” Roy replied, “…but I don’t think it went very well…” he then muttered.

“Huh?? What was that again? …Cous hurry up! The guys are waiting for us to meet downstairs to go for dinner!!” Ning exclaimed.

“Yup yup I know I know… I won’t be a minute… You guys wait for me a while ok?” I replied, as if I hadn’t heard Roy’s comment at all.

But I did.

I heard it.

Even though it was a murmur.

But I didn’t want to deal it now.

Not now.

I wasn’t ready.

It wasn’t time.

I continued to busy myself with the bags, and I was trying to get them organized at a corner of the room, so I didn’t hear Ning and Ting comment that they were going to meet the rest downstairs first while I finished up.

“Ting can you bring over the last one of the bags? I can’t move over right now, I’ve to steady the rest of the stuff with my hands, otherwise everything’s gonna fall out! Hurry up will you…” I shouted.

Then a bag was passed to me.

“Thanks. Now …if I can only manage to close this door…” I turned around to use my back to push the door close…

A hand came reaching towards the door from behind me. Thinking it was Ting, I continued turning. It was not until my back was fully facing the door when I realize that it wasn’t Ting whom was helping me all this while…

No comments: