Saturday, April 8, 2006

Destined 遐想 - Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Chanced Meeting

It’s a cold and chilly night.

I’m at the street walking around in the cold. Suddenly I chance on a small and antique looking cathedral. The building seemed to be beckoning me to enter into its warm and cozy caress. As another chilling swipe of icy wind hit my bare face, I decide to venture further into the inviting building.

As I huddle my freezing body into the building’s warmth, I didn’t notice that there was an evening worship service going on at the moment! Everyone looked at me when I stumbled noisily and clumsily into the tranquil surroundings! Thank goodness that I didn’t even notice that anything was wrong as I was fully concentrating on getting my heavy coat and belongings into the tight squeeze of a bench…

“Hee…”

I looked up. I felt a tinge of uneasiness going through me, as if I was being watched… And yes, boy oh boy was I being watched… The entire church was glaring at me! Totally embarrassed, I made a “So sorry…” face, and looked down hoping to hide my embarrassment. My face had already gone beetroot from blushing!

Thankfully, the assembly decided to continue their service despite of my slight disturbance.

“Hee hee hee…”

I’m very sure I heard it this time.

There’s someone giggling about my current embarrassing state!

But I don’t know who…

But I’m determined to find that meanie!

My eyes scanned the interior, darting here and there in an exhausting attempt to catch the culprit in the act.

“Hee hee hee hee hee…”

The sound was becoming more muffled, but longer than before. The person’s probably was attempting to cover the growing giggles. My eyes searched even more frantically, as anger fuelled my seemingly hopeless search.

Finally. I found the culprit.

I found him.

Seated at the extreme opposite end of the cathedral from me, was a guy in his early twenties, clean-cut with nice natural curls in his shoulder-length brown hair. From where we were seated, I could hardly see his face, and I yearned so much to get a full glimpse of the meanie’s face! So I shifted to and fro as I stood at my seat as the crowd between us had begun moving around! Once again in my deep concentration, I didn’t realize that the service had already ended, and the people moving around blocking my view were actually moving out of their seats, and out of the cathedral! And extremist as I was, I started dragging my stuff and stormed towards the cause of my frustration!

As I closed in, I realized that he hadn’t moved an inch from his seat, but instead was still giggling when I stood in front of him!

“Hey you! You’re REALLY MEAN aren’t you?! Having your own laugh over here and all…”

He stood up suddenly in front of me.

A tall and lanky frame towered over me. And there was something that I couldn’t take my eyes off…

That pair of piercing dark brown eyes, encircled by thick, long and curly eyelashes that many girls would die to have. Yet there seemed to be this brooding deep and dark secret behind it all…

“Yes?”

Huh?!! What an answer?!!

“…I said what did you think you were doing, building your our happiness over another’s pain!”

He gave a “Huh? What do you mean? I didn’t.” look.

“ You were laughing over here about my… my…”

A curve started spreading from the corner of his mouth.

“Hee hee…. Ha ha ha…”

He broke out into laughter.

Finally.

m( _ _ )m

Totally felt like knocking my head on the praying bench!

Couldn’t take it anymore. I started gathering my stuff to go. As I turned to walk out of the bench area, I felt a firm tug at my bag. Thinking that it had probably got caught on something, I tried tugging at it, but to no avail. In fact my tugging seemed to make the tension even tighter from the other end. Frustrated, thinking that I must be really down on my luck tonight, I turned around…

No comments: