Saturday, April 15, 2006

Destined 遐想 - Chapter 9

Chapter 9: At First Sight

She takes a look at the owner of the voice.

It was Show. Zax’s neighbour whom was working at the restaurant after his lessons to pay for his fees.

“Oh… it’s you again… Zax’s neighbour right?” Ting enquired.

Show looks up from his bowing stance. His big eyes blinked blurly at Ting. Obviously not being able to register Ting’s face at all, and was trying hard to scan his memory for any trace of the mentioned meeting.

“We were here just a couple of days ago. A whole big bunch… You were just arriving on duty when Zax saw you.”

Ting attempted to offer him some hints to aid his memory.

“Oh… now I remember… there were so many guys… and only three girls in your group right… yeah… I remember now…” Show exclaimed when he finally managed to recall the incident, and he scratched his head in a silly manner, as if embarrassed that he had forgotten everything.

“It’s okay. I can’t expect you to remember much anyway… since Zax didn’t really introduce us.” Ting smiled.

The duo looked at each other for some time. For some time there was a complete silence. They just looked at each other. No words were exchanged…

“…”

“Welcome… Show! Why are you making the nice girl stand at the door! Invite her into the restaurant to take a seat!” Show’s supervisor’s voice echoed from the kitchen.

The silence was broken.

“…Huh…Oh yeah… please come in and take a seat…” Show got out of the daze and showed Ting to a window seat.

“Erm… I still don’t know our name… I’m Show Luo Zhi Qiang. You can call me Show or Xiaozhu. Nice to meet you.” Show formally introduced himself embarrassingly once Ting was seated, and extended his hand out.

“Oh yeah… I’m Ting. Nice to meet you. “ Ting replied and shoke his hand.

“So… how come you know Zax? You’re still quite young, compared to him…” Show probed earnestly.

“ Erm actually Zax’s my …”


“Ern hum…. *cough cough*…” Show’s superior was now waltzing around the restaurant, hinting for Show to take Ting’s order.

The two looked at Show’s superior for a while.

“ Erm…I think I’d better order something first before we continue? Your superior looks unhappy… I dun wanna get you in trouble… Erm I’ll take a Tempura ice cream. Thanx.” Ting responded tactfully.

“…Thanx for reminding me… I can’t afford to lose this job now… I…” Show replied earnestly.

“ Erm hmm… *cough cough cough*…”

“I think you better go first…” Ting urged.

As Show finally went off to place Ting’s order, she had a chance to take a good look at how he looked overall – his mannerisms, etc.

Show was a tall and lanky young man, with really big and expressive eyes. He had short layered hair and he looked pretty slick in his uniform and apron, and very boyishly cheeky. Down-to-earth and hardworking, Show is the typical type that many girls would die to have as a boyfriend.

And the truth is…

Ting too felt a strong attraction to Show.

“Here’s your order… Enjoy it!” Show returned with Ting’s order.

“Thanx.” Ting thanked Show, and was about to start on her dessert, when she realized that Show was still standing at her table. She looked up from her seat.

“…erm… you were saying just now?? Zax’s your…??” Show questioned shyly, avoiding eye contact with Ting’s eyes.

“ Oh… Zax’s my cousin’s classmate. She came over here on an exchange programme, my sis and I are visiting her.” Ting replied generously.

“…So you’re not… erm… what about the two guys seating next to you that day?… You looked rather close…”

Once again, he had a shy and embarrassed look on his face.

“Oh… those two… *sign*… I dun wanna talk about them… so sickening… ALWAYS bickering amongst themselves…dun even know why they’re so ego-centric…” Ting complained, unaware that she was giving more information than needed.

“…So … they’re not your…okay… great…” Show mumbled.

“Huh?? Sorry, you were saying something?? Did I blabber too much… I got carried away didn’t I… so sorry…” Ting apologized, realizing her mistake.

Show was now looking at her straight in the eye.

It made Ting slightly uncomfortable.

“…erm… erm…Ting…are you… erm… with…erm… like… anyone…???” Show asked seriously, looking straight into Ting’s eyes.

Ting was shocked by his mumbled question, but she did hear him loud and clear.

She couldn’t believe her ears.

It was like a fairy-tale…

Love at first sight…

Was it possible in real life?

“…”

“…well?? Are you attached???” Show looked even harder into her eyes, searching for an answer.

“…er… no actually…” Ting mumbled her answer.

A cheeky grin started planting itself on Show’s face, and his big eyes shimmered with joy.

“Then can I hang out with you sometime?? Soon… I’d like to get to know you better…” Show replied.

Ting felt her heart skip a beat when she heard his words.

It was all happening so fast…

And the adrenalin was driving her crazy!

She didn’t know what to say… but she wanted to do the same thing too!

“…”

“…so…???” Show probed, desperately for an answer.

“…”

By now Ting has already buried herself in her dessert.

“…I take it that silence means consent…” Show exclaimed.

“…”

“Great! So I’ll take this…” Upon saying this, Show took Ting’s handphone, which was on the table.

“…Hey Show wait! What are you gonna do to my handphone!” Ting's face finally emerged from her dessert, when she realized that her handphone was taken away by Show.

Show grinned cheekily, waving her handphone and his own in the air.

“I’m just gonna save your number in mine, and mine in yours...so that we can keep in contact…You’ll know it’s me when I call, and I’ll know it’s you when you call” Show replied.

“Such a attentive guy… not like those two…Definitely he’s the one for me…” Ting thought to herself.

No comments: