Monday, February 4, 2008

Rainbow 彩虹 - Chapter 10

Chapter 10: キッスしたまま、さよなら (As We Kissed, Goodbye)

Jae: ZE!!!

Jae ran straight into Ze's arms, making him take a step back on the impact. And she hugged him tightly.

Ze: Woah... I see you've missed me... A LOT...

He put his arms around Jae and hugged her back. Tears started welling in Jae's eyes when she heard him speak. He didn't know how much she had missed him. She wanted him to be around for her when her dad died. She needed him beside her to comfort her when her mum died. But he wasn't around. And she had to go through all those alone. Her tears were pouring out like that day in Joong's tent, soaking Ze's army shirt and leaving a deep mark on it.

Ze pulled Jae away from the hug to take a look at her. He lifted a hand to wipe the tears from Jae's tear-stained face. She was still sobbing profusely.

Ze: What's wrong Jae? Why are you crying so much? Something happened when I was gone?

Jae nodded.

Jae: My parents...

Ze: Yeah... Ajushi and ajumma... How are they?

Jae titled her head up to look at Ze. Her eyes were tearing even more now. Her lips were quivering from crying and her body was shaking slightly.

Ze's thoughts: Oh no... Not her parents too...

Ze's dad had been hit by a bullet during a surprise attack at their camp, and he didn't make it. Ze had been struggling along all this time, and since their camp was attacked, he didn't get Jae's letter to inform him that she was becoming a medic. He only knew a couple of months later, and had immediately requested to go meet her.

Ze: It's alright Jae... I'm here now... Your parents can enjoy their stay up there, they won't have to worry about you anymore... They can leave you in my hands... I'll take care of you from now on...

Ze smiled and leaned in to kiss Jae on her lips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joong: What's taking Jae-nuna so long today? It's already past lunch time and she still hasn't checked on me yet...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After a long kiss, Ze parted his lips from Jae's and smiled at her.

Jae (sudden realisation): OMO!!! I FORGOT TO CHECK ON JOONGIE!!!

She dashed out of her office, leaving Ze shocked and confused.

Ze: JAE!!! WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!!!

Jae popped her head back in.

Jae: I gotta go check on Joong now... I'm already late for my rounds...

Ze: Joong's here too?

Jae: Yeah... He was injured in battle... You wanna come with me to see him?

Ze: Sure...

Ze walked over to Jae and took her hand in his, walking alongside her to Joong's tent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joong: Ah this irresponsible nuna... She's forgotten all about me!!! Such an unprofessional doctor...

Jae popped her head into Joong's tent. Joong looked up at her when she did and pouted, folding his arms across his chest in mock anger.

Jae: Joongie-ya... Mianada... I forgot the time... Have you had your lunch yet?

Joong: Dr Jae, you'd better hurry... Or else you're gonna delay ALL the patients you've got to see after me...

Jae: Joongie... I know you're angry... Don't be mad... I'm late cos I had a visitor...

Joong: Visitor?

Jae: Ne... Someone you know too...

Joong's thoughts: Who could it be?

Ze: Joong!!! My dongsaeng!!!

Ze stepped into the tent and walked beside Jae, pulling her into his arms.

Joong was shocked. In fact he was MORE than shocked. He felt his eyeballs almost pop out of their sockets.

Joong's thoughts: Ze-hyung!! How did he know that Jae-nuna was here?!!!

Jae smiled at Ze and looked back at Joong.

Jae: Aren't you happy to see your fave hyung? I thought you two were always so chummy together... Leaving me out of most of the things you did...

Joong (fighting back his shock): Of cos I am happy to see Ze-hyung!!! But hyung, how come you're here too? You're not injured too are you?

Ze: Anio... I got a letter from Jae telling me she's a medic here... But I got it quite late, cos my camp was attacked... We had to emergency evacuate the place... And my dad died... So...

Jae: Oh no... Ze...

Jae turned herself around to face Ze. He didn't tell her that his dad had died too. She looked at him sadly, softly caressing his face with her hand. He grabbed hold of her hand and pulled it to his heart.

Ze: Gwenchana Jae... I've still got Granny... And you...

Joong's thoughts: Now that he's found her... She doesn't need me anymore... It's time for me to make my exit...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One fine spring day...

Spring had come. But war was still not over. The medics camp was surrounded by beautiful flora, and the entire camp exuded a cheerful and hopeful aura, despite all the injured and dying casualties hidden within the numerous tents.

Jae loved spring a lot. In fact she used to love to go pick wild flowers in the nearby hills when she was younger. It was no different now. She wanted to go pick some flowers for Ze and Joong's tents to brighten up their day. As she wanted it to be surprise for them, she went alone. Only Nurse Kim knew where she was going, as she had told him before they went to check on Joong.

Jae: Junsa-ya... I'm gonna go pick some flowers outside camp during lunch time... Can you make an excuse for me, so that I can't stay and lunch with Joong in Joong's tent later?

Nurse Kim: Okay... But be careful Jae...

Jae: Araso...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joong had planned to leave the medic's camp after Jae checked on him one last time. He wanted to have lunch with her before he left. He didn't see a need for him to be around anymore, since Ze was already with her. And he couldn't bear seeing the two of them together. So he decided that he should head back to his own camp, since he had already almost fully recovered.

However, after she checked on him like usual. Nurse Kim told Jae that Dr Jung needed her to help him with something, and she couldn't stay to have lunch with him.

Joong: You're not gonna stay for lunch?

Nurse Kim: She can't Joong. Dr Jung needs her to help him with something. She needs to go now...

Jae: Mianeyo Joongie... I'll have dinner with you later to make up for it okay?

Joong nodded. And they left his tent. After he had his lunch. He packed his stuff and walked out of his tent with heavy heart, and joined a army truck which was sending recovered troops back to their camps.

Joong's thoughts: Annyeong kyeseyo Jae-nuna... Forgive me for leaving without saying goodbye... Cos I don't think I can bear to leave you if I do... I hope that you'll be happy with Ze-hyung... I wish you both the best...

And the truck he was on drove out of the camp.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Meanwhile, Jae was happily humming a song and picking wild flowers when Joong left the camp on the truck. Several metres away from her, there was someone lurking behind the tall grass...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ze: Junsu-ya, have you seen Jae anywhere?

Nurse Kim: Ze!! You've gotta call me Nurse Kim when you're here!!!

Ze: *giggles* Araso... I forgot... Nurse Kim... Have you seen my fiancee anywhere?

Nurse Kim: Oh... Jae... Anio... Wae?

Ze: There's news that there's an escaped prisoner-of-war from a nearby camp... And I can't find her anywhere... Even Joong's not in his tent... I'm kinda worried...

Nurse Kim: WHAT?!!! ESCAPED POW!!! OH NO!!!

Ze: What's wrong?!!!

Nurse Kim: Jae went to pick wild flowers out on the hill behind our camp for you and Joong during lunch time... She wanted it to be a surprise... So we kept it from both of you...

Ze: WHAT!!!!

Ze dashed out of the camp immediately and ran as fast as he could towards the hill behind the camp.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jae heard some rustling sound behind the tall grass. She stopped humming and listened hard.

Jae: Anyone there?

Nothing.

*FLASHBACK*

Nurse Kim: Okay... But be careful Jae...

Jae: Araso...

*END OF FLASHBACK*

Jae suddenly remembered what Nurse Kim told her. And it dawned on her that it was really dangerous for her to be out here alone picking wild flowers when there's a war going on out there. She hurriedly gathered her things.

She noticed someone running up the hill as she was gathering her things. She squinted and stared harder at the person. It was Ze. She started waving madly to him happily.

Ze grabbed her into his arms when he reached her. Jae was shocked.

Jae: Ze... What's wrong?

Ze: You gave me a shock... I thought something happened to you... when I couldn't find you anywhere...

Jae: Something happened in camp?

Ze: There's news from the nearby camp that there's an escaped prisoner-of-war on the loose... I was so scared when Junsu told me you were out here alone... I was afraid you might bump into him and get into trouble...

Jae: But I didn't right? I'm still here... I'm fine... Don't worry... Let's head back to camp...

Ze: Okay...

They both turned to walk back to camp. Ze heard a rustling sound. This time Jae heard it again. It was the same sound as before. Ze took out his gun and looked around the grass. As the grass was so tall, visibility was really low.

Jae: Ze... Let's just head on back...

Ze: You go first... I'll be right behind you...

Jae: Anio Ze... Let's just leave together...

Her hand was firmly on Ze's, as she didn't want him to stay behind and get injured if the person behind the tall grass was really the escaped prisoner-of-war. If he could escape from such a tight-security camp, who knows what kind of person that POW is?

POW: You're BOTH not going anywhere...

A man walked out of the tall grass with a gun in his hand, pointing at Ze and Jae.

POW: I gave you a chance to go... You didn't take it... Since you already know about me, I'll just have to kill the both of you now...

Jae rushed in front of Ze, shielding him from the POW.

Ze: Jae, move behind me!!! What are you doing??!!!

Jae: ANIO!!! Please let us off sir... We promise we won't tell anyone we've seen you... We're all just victims of this stupid war... Let's not hurt anyone anymore... I don't want to see anymore casualties... Please...

POW: You're right miss... It's a stupid war... But we're all just victims... I have no choice too... If I don't kill you... I'll get killed... It's a dog eat dog world... I have no choice...

Jae: NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

A gun shot could be heard.

The POW fell backwards onto the tall grass. Jae rushed over to check on him. He was shot in his head by Ze. Dead upon being hit.

Then Jae rushed back to Ze, who had now kneed down onto the ground, head looking down.

Jae: Ze... He's dead... Ze!!!!

Ze grasped his chest with his hand. His uniform was slowly being stained a deep shade of red. Jae realised what was happening. There was only one gun shot heard, as they had both fired at the same time. And since Ze pulled Jae aside at the last minute, she had fallen down onto the ground and not realised that Ze had been hit, as she only saw the POW fall backwards onto the grass.

Jae: Ze!!! You're hit too??!!!! Let me see the wound!!!

Jae peeled Ze's hand away from his wound, and torn his shirt apart. He was hit around his spleen area. Blood was gushing out of his wound profusely. Jae pressed her hands on his wound to try to stop the bleeding, but it didn't work. She torn her doctor robe to tie around his waist in hope to ease the bleeding.

Jae: Ze... I gotta get you back to camp now... Can you walk?

Ze nodded. Jae struggled to help him up. But he stumbled back down. His hands were already turning cold.

Jae: Ze... Listen to me... Don't close your eyes... Stay with me...

Ze: Jae... I can't walk...

Jae: Anio Ze... Listen to me... Come on... If you can't walk... I'll carry you back to camp...

Jae grabbed Ze and tried to piggy back him back to camp. He was too heavy for her. She was struggling very hard to not drop him, while trying to move as fast as she could. She could feel his wound bleeding so much that her uniform was soaked with his blood.

When Jae reached the camp gate, the rest rushed out to help her get Ze to the operating tent. She held onto his hand when they carried him to the tent.

Jae: You're gonna be okay Ze... Don't worry... Dr Jung will save you...

Dr Jung tried his best with the rest to help Ze. But he had already lost too much blood and the bullet had hit his spleen. He was beyond anything that they could do for him.

Ze (weakly): Jae... Mianeyo... I can't keep my promise...

Jae: NO!!!! ZE!!! LISTEN TO ME!!! LISTEN TO ME!!! DON'T YOU DARE CLOSE YOUR EYES!!! DON'T YOU DARE LEAVE ME!!! YOU PROMISED TO TAKE CARE OF ME FOREVER!!! YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO LEAVE ME!!!

Ze (weakly and turning breathless): Mianeyo... I'll... I'll explain... to your parents... when I see them...

Jae: ANDWAE!!!! I DON'T WANT YOU TO EXPLAIN TO THEM!!! I WANT YOU TO STAY WITH ME!!! OPEN YOUR EYES!!! PLEASE!!!

Ze (eyes closing slowly): Jae... Sarang... sarang... ham... ni... da...

Jae shook Ze violently, trying to wake him up. But to no avail. He was gone. There was nothing she could do.

Jae (crying profusely): NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! ZE!!!!!! ZE!!!!! WAKE UP!!!! YOU HEAR ME!!!! WAKE UP!!!!

Dr Jung: Time of death. 14th February 2014. 1402 hours.

Dr Jung tapped Jae's shoulders twice and stepped out along with the rest, leaving her alone with Ze.

After crying for a very long time, Jae was still hugging Ze in her arms.

Jae (softly): Ze... Wake up... This is my lips... Feel it...

She lowered her face and kissed his lips gently.

Jae (softly): Open... Open your eyes... Just look at me now...

Her tears dripped onto Ze's face.

Jae (sobbing): You were everything to me in this world...

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
专属天使の悪戯なKiss m(~_~)m

Other fan fics we've written so far...
Destined 遐想 [Completed]

Serendipity 奇缘 [Completed]

My Little Princess 나의작은공주 [Sequel to Serendipity 奇缘]

Rainbow 彩虹

Last thing... Comments will be greatly appreciated!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lyn89 -- 4 February 2008 at 9:59 a.m.

Hey, I like ur fic very much!!!
I hope joong n jae will end up together!!!
Update soon!

tedheads said...

awwww.... so sad... ze died.... so does that mean that Jae and be with Joong???