Monday, February 4, 2008

Rainbow 彩虹 - Chapter 11

Chapter 11: Eternal...

Jae's POV:

I forgot all about Joong that day... In fact I didn't get out from my tent for a whole week after Ze's funeral service... I was crying everyday... My eyes were so swollen and red from crying and lack of sleep that they were so bloodshot, one would think that I was suffering from red eyes...

I couldn't sleep cos once my eyes closed, I had nightmares of Ze being shot and dying in my arms. So instead, I cried myself to sleep every night. I cried and cried and cried until my eyes couldn't stay open anymore.

Nurse Kim tried to persuade me to eat, but I never had any appetite. And I would vomit out anything that went into my system. As a result, I lost weight rapidly. Until one day Dr Jung was called in to check on me, as Nurse Kim had found me unconscious in my tent from hunger and dehydration. This was when I came out from my cocoon...

And I realised that I couldn't mourn anymore for my sad and sorry state. I needed to get to work and fight back. The first thing I remembered was... Where was Joong? I missed him hugging me to console me when I cried... And again there was no one there to lend a shoulder for me to cry on this time... I had to go through another death alone... Some of the nurses told me that they had saw him get into one of the trucks sending recovered soldiers back to their camps... I was torn... I prayed hard that he would still be alive...

Anyway, I pulled myself together. Or rather, I FORCED myself together. I FORCED myself to work. I FORCED myself to work SO hard that I can forget everything and sleep at night...

A few months later.. The thing that I've been hating to the core had finally ended. But it wasn't without its victims...

I was badly defeated by it...

Wounded so badly that I didn't think that I could ever get back on my feet again...

I've lost the three most important people in my life...

My Dad...

My Mum...

My Ze...

As I walked back to my house, I noticed that Joong had already reached his house with his dad, and his mum and Yuki were welcoming them at the door with hugs and kisses. I looked over to my own house. There was no one there. Tears threatened to spill from my eyes. But I blinked them back forcefully.

Joong's mum: JAE!!!

Joong's mum saw me and called and waved to call me over to their house. Joong pulled himself away from Yuki, and turned around. Our eyes met. But we didn't say anything.

Jae (forcing a smile): Ajumma, ajushi... annyeong haseyo... chaljinaessoyo?

I greeted Joong's parents. Joong's mum grabbed my hands and pulled me over for a hug.

Joong's mum: Oh my poor child... Gwenchanayo?

Jae: Ne... Gwenchana... Don't worry about me ajumma... I'll be fine...

Joong's mum: You wanna come over for dinner later? I've cooked a lot of food. Joong's fave Ja Jang Myun, your fave kimchi fried rice, and...

Jae (interrupting her): Komawoyo ajumma... But I'm going over to visit Ze's halmunhni (granny) later after I drop my things... Maybe next time...

Joong's thoughts: She looks so much thinner and so exhausted... Must have been hard on her at the medic's camp... Even her cheerful aura is gone... How come Ze-hyung didn't send her back?

Joong's mum: Oh I see... Next time then... I'll cook your fave kimchi fried rice again... Send our regards to his granny for me...

Jae (smiles): Ne... ajumma... next time I'll come by for dinner... Mianeyo... I gotta go back now... I don't want halmuhni to wait too long for me... Annyeong kyesayo...

I walked back to my own empty house and dropped off my bags in my room. I took a quick shower and changed into some casual clothes and left my house to go to Ze's house to visit his granny. She was left alone since both Ze's dad and Ze passed away. Jae wanted to ask her if she would like to move in with her at her house when she visited her today, so that she could take care of her for Ze.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back at Joong's house...

Joong's mum and Yuki kept piling food on Joong's bowl.

Joong: Omma, Yuki... That's enough food for me already... You guys take some for yourselves too...

Joong's mum: You should eat more... You've grown so much thinner... (turns to Joong's dad) you too yeobo... eat more...

Joong smiled as his mum started piling food into his dad's bowl now. They were such a happy couple... Very much like Jae's parents...

Joong's thoughts: I wonder how Jae-nuna is doing now? Is she having her dinner happily at Ze-hyung's now with him and his granny?

Yuki: Joong... Joong...

Joong turned to see Yuki looking at him lovingly. He smiled. And she smiled back at him, planting a peck on his cheek.

Yuki: Sarangheyo Joong...

Joong was surprised. But he missed Yuki saying she loved him to him. He missed the feeling of being loved by someone...

Joong: Appa, omma...

His parents turned to look at him.

Joong took Yuki's hand in his and said.

Joong: I wish to marry Yuki...

Everyone was shocked by his sudden proposal. But of course everyone was happy for him. He was already of marriageable age. And Yuki loved him so much. And they thought that he loved her as much too.

Joong's thoughts: Jae-nuna's found her happiness with Ze-hyung... I must forget her... I know Yuki is not Jae-nuna... But she loves me more than I can ever love her back... But all I need now is to feel loved... unconditionally... By someone...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At Ze's house...

Jae cooked a nice meal for Ze's halmuhni and herself. The old lady has aged a lot. But the lost of her son and her grandson had most likely taken away a lot of her jovial nature. Jae could see that she was not the same as before.

Jae: Halmuhni... Won't you come live with me in my house? I can take care of you... I'm working now... I have a job at the hospital... I start next week...

Ze's halmuhni: Jae-ya, I know you are a very filial girl... But you are not obliged to take care of me... You know that right?

Jae: Wae? You're Ze's halmuhni... I should take care of you... And I want to...

Ze's halmuhni: But you're not even married...

Jae: Halmuhni... I'm already Ze's wife in his eyes before he left... And I already see him as my husband too... So... Please don't say such things anymore... Please come and live with me... I want to take care of you...

Ze's halmuhni: My dear child... Ze is so lucky to know you... Pity he didn't have the fortune take you as his wife...

Jae: Halmuhni... He's my husband... And always will be...

Ze's halmuhni: My child... I'll go live with you... But I'm already an old lady... I'd be gone soon... If you find someone you love and loves you... Go ahead and pursue your happiness... I won't hold it against you... You're still young... I'm sure Ze won't want you to stay alone forever...

Jae: Anio halmuhni... He died trying to save me... I owe my life to him... I promised that I'll stay as his wife forever...

Ze's halmuhni: But...

Jae (interrupting her): Halmuhni... Let's eat shall we? I made your fave yuk gae jang...

Ze's halmuhni gave up and stopped trying to persuade Jae. She knew that Jae was a stubborn girl, despite being very filial... Once she had decided on something, nothing could change her mind. After dinner, they packed up her things and Jae helped her move to her house.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once Joong's parents knew that Jae had brought Ze's granny back to her house to stay, they invited her over for dinners whenever Jae wasn't around. But no one asked why Ze and his dad didn't come stay with them too. And since no one asked. No one knew that they had already passed away. And eversince Joong proposed to Yuki, he had been out at her house almost every night for dinner to discuss the wedding preparations. And he didn't meet Jae or Ze's halmuhni at all.

One day when Jae was walking home after a long day at the hospital, she saw Joong walking out of his house with Yuki. He helped her open the car door, and let her go in, before walking over to his side of the car and hopped on. When Joong got in, Yuki leaned over to show Joong her ring on her wedding ring finger, which glittered in the moonlight, and gave him a passionate kiss on his lips. When Jae saw it, she turned around and hid herself from view. Joong's car drove past her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jae's POV:

I see they are getting married... Congratulations Joongie... My dong saeng... You've found your true love...

I grabbed my heart with my hand. I felt my heart hurt so bad that I collapsed onto the ground. Tears started blurring in my vision.

Why does my heart feel like it's being cut into a million pieces?

Joongie-ya... I'm glad you found true love... But... Wae? Why does it hurt so much to see the two of you together? Have I already fallen for you subconsciously?


*FLASHBACK 1 - childhood days*
Joong: Nuna... I want to grow up faster... So I can protect you from anyone who bullies you...

He hugged me. My eyes welled with tears when I heard him say that. It was so sweet.

Joong: Why are you crying nuna? Is it very painful?

He caressed my cheek again with his small hand.

Jae: Anio... It's not painful...

Joong: Don't cry nuna... Cos Joongie loves Jae-nuna the most... I want you to be my bride when I grow up!!!

He smiled happily at me and gave me a kiss on my lips.


*FLASHBACK 2 - The Kiss*
Joong: Nuna... Mianeyo... I can't take this anymore... Just let me go...

Jae: NOOOOOOOO!!! YOU'RE NOT LEAVING ME AGAIN UNTIL YOU CLEAR YOUR DEBT TO ME!!!! YOU PROMISED ME!!! I'M NOT ALLOWING IT!!! JOONGIE!!! WAKE UP!!! DON'T CLOSE YOUR EYES!!! STAY WITH ME!!!

I grabbed his face with my hands and leaned down to give him a kiss on his lips...


*FLASHBACK 3 - Nurse Kim's comments*
Nurse Kim: ... you two were an item... Cos you kissed him during the operation...

Jae: That's cos we ran out of anaesthetics... And Dr Jung asked me to distract him from the pain...

Nurse Kim: I know... But still... Would you kiss him if he were just any other patient? And you treat him so differently during your rounds... And the way he looks at you...


*FLASHBACK 4 - I'll Be There*
Jae: There... I'll eat lunch and dinner with you everyday from now on... If you want that is...

Joong: Kamsahamnida nuna!!! I know you love me the most!!!

Joong reached over and hugged me.

Jae: You silly boy... You're my only dongsaeng... Of cos I love you the most...

Joong pulled me into his arms and hugged me.

Joong: It's okay nuna... You still have me... I promise I'll be there for you always...

Joong: Gwenchana... You're my only nuna... As your dongsaeng, I'll do anything for you...

*END OF FLASHBACKS*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That night Jae didn't go back home after she stopped crying. She went to the cemetery, where Ze, his dad and her parents' graves were at.

Jae: Appa... Omma... It's your daughter... Jae... Can you hear me? I missed you guys so much... I missed you cooking omma... And your nagging Appa... I do hope you are having a good time up there... I'm counting down to the day when I'll see you guys again... Sarangheyo...

She moved to Ze's tomb, and sat herself down, leaning her body against it, hugging it.

Jae: Ze... Joong's getting married to Yuki... I saw them today... But I don't know when the big day is... But I'm gonna miss my dongsaeng once he's married... I can't hang out with him anymore...

Jae started crying again.

Jae: Ze... I missed you... I promised you that I'll be your wife forever... I'll not love another... But why won't you even meet me in my dreams? I haven't had one good dream since you left... I only get... nightmares... so I don't even dare to sleep...

Jae's tears were forming a small dark puddle on Ze's tombstone, as they fell from her sorrowful eyes.

Jae: Don't you miss me too? Don't you love me anymore?

That night she cried herself to sleep, leaning against Ze's tombstone...

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
专属天使の悪戯なKiss m(~_~)m

Other fan fics we've written so far...
Destined 遐想 [Completed]

Serendipity 奇缘 [Completed]

My Little Princess 나의작은공주 [Sequel to Serendipity 奇缘]

Rainbow 彩虹

Last thing... Comments will be greatly appreciated!!!

No comments: