Saturday, January 12, 2008

Destined 遐想 - Chapter 39

Chapter 39: Heaven must be missing an angel...

Ting: Isn't he adorable? Look at the pudgy fingers... Ang-gu-gu... ang-gu-gu...

Ting played with the baby's fingers.

Ning: His eyes are so big and lively... Ang-gu-gu... ang-gu-gu...

Roy smiled as Ting ang Ning baby-talked with his newborn son in his arms.

Suddenly, a nurse dashed out of the room hurriedly, and came back with a few more nurses and another doctor. Roy stopped one of the nurses.

Roy: Is something wrong?

Nurse: We're not sure yet sir... Sorry but I need to get back inside now...

Roy looked at the room door.

Roy's thoughts: Please be alright... Please.... Don't leave me... And our son...

Roy looked down at his baby son in his arms who was bustling with life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A week passed...

Due to some unknown complications during delivery, Ying had gone into a coma. The doctors weren't even sure when she would wake up. Roy had already finished filming and he had to soon go back to Taiwan, but he couldn't leave Ying here alone in the hospital. But he couldn't take care of his son all by himself too. He needed help.

Roy: Morning sleepyhead... Our son's a week old now... And he can go home today... Aren't you going to come home with us too?

He looked at Ying who looked like she was sleeping peacefully in the hospital bed, but nevertheless, not responding to his words. He placed his son back into the crib, and sat down beside Ying, taking her hand in his.

Roy: By the way... I've named our son Yasuo Chiu Kangsheng 邱康生. You know why I named him so? Cos he was born so healthily, I want him to live healthily for the rest of his life... And I hope that he will bring health to you too... So you can wake up soon and stay with us for the rest of your life...

Tears fall from his eyes. But there was still no response from Ying.

Roy: Wake up my dear... It's time to go home... I can't take care of our son alone... He needs you... I need you too...

He leans in and kisses her forehead, and wipes his tears away.

Nurse: Mr Chiu, you can go get the paperwork done for your son now... You can bring him home after settling the paperwork...

Roy: Okay I'll be right with you...

The nurse walks away.

Roy: I'll be back in a while... Yasuo will keep you company first...

As Roy walked out, a tear flowed down Ying's face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Another two months passed...

It was now Yasuo's full month celebration, and Roy had made arrangements with his company so that he could move his work to Singapore so that he could spend time with Ying, and his family could help take care of Yasuo when he was working.

Roy had brought Yasuo to the hospital to visit Ying before bringing him to the restaurant for the full month dinner celebration. Roy had placed Yasuo on top of Ying so that she could feel how much he had grown.

Roy: See how much Yasuo has grown? He's much heavier now isn't he? Can you feel how chubby his hands are now?

He guided her hand to feel Yasuo as he spoke. Yasuo giggled, kicked his feet and moved his hands excitedly as Ying's hands touched him.

Roy: Ha ha ha... Yasuo-chan... you are happy to see Mummy right?

Yasuo gave out a really loud high pitched chuckle.

Roy: Yes you are... Daddy knows... Mummy's excited to see you too I'm sure... So you'd better wake up now Ying... You can still make it for his full month dinner...

Roy looked at Ying's face. She was still lying motionlessly on her bed.

Roy (looks up and prays): I hope you aren't mad at me cos I have one of your angels here with me. Not a day goes by that I don't thank you for her... You've blessed me with my angel on Christmas day though I think don't deserve her... Cos before she appeared in my life, loneliness was my best friend... So no matter what happens, I'm not letting go of her again... I don't want to be alone in this crazy world... Oh... How I love her so... I'll sacrifice it all just to have her back in my life... Please don't take her away from me now... Yasuo needs his mummy... And I need her... Please I beg of you... Let her wake up now...

He looked back at Ying. She was still motionless. While Yasuo was moving energetically on top of her. He stood up and carried Yasuo back into his arms.

Roy: Say bye bye to Mummy now Yasuo... We've gotta go, otherwise we'll be late for the dinner...

Roy took Yasuo's hand and waved to Ying. Then he sighed and walked out of the room. As Roy walked out, a tear flowed down Ying's face and her heartbeat flickered abnormally.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Roy was waiting for the lift at the hospital with Yasuo in his arms, he heard a commotion going on, but since it was a hospital, he didn't think too much of it. He looked down at Yasuo, then he noticed that one of his mittens were missing.

Roy: Ah... Yasuo... see you got so excited one of your mitten's fallen off... Now where could it have gone too... We'd better find it back now... Otherwise you'll look weird with only one mitten when we take photos during the dinner...

He looked around and traced his way back to Ying's room slowly. As he gradually approached her room, he realised that the nurses and doctors were rushing towards the direction of her room.

Roy's thoughts: Wait... Don't tell me...

He picked up speed and half-ran to Ying's room. Indeed there were a whole bunch of medical staff gathered in her room, but the curtain was drawn, so he couldn't see anything. When one nurse ran out from behind the curtain towards the door, he stopped her.

Roy: Sorry miss... Is there something wrong? What's happening? Did she wake up?

Nurse: I'm afraid not sir... Her heart beat was dropping drastically just now, so we were alerted...


The nurse dashed off, and Roy was left more worried than ever.

Roy's thoughts: I asked you not to take her away from me... I want her to wake up and to be with us... I cannot imagine life without her again... Don't you dare...

The curtain was pulled open at this point in time, interrupting his thoughts. The medical staff streamed out one by one. Ying's doctor was the last one to leave, and Roy approached him anxiously.

Roy: How is she, doctor?

Doctor: Her heart beat was very irregular just now, and it was dropping drastically... Her condition is stable now...


Roy: Is she going to wake up soon?


Doctor: We've already done what we can for her... But I'm afraid it's up to her now whether she can wake up or not...

Roy: Thank you...


The doctor left the room. Roy walked towards the bed and sat down beside her.

Roy: You gave me a scare just now... I thought...

He shook his head. He didn't want to say those words to her or Yasuo... He had to keep himself positive.

Roy: *sigh*.... My dear... We're back again!!! Cos Yasuo's lost his mitten... I figured he probably dropped it here when he was "playing" with you... I thought I'd better find it back for him before all his full month photos have him without one mitten... Let me see where he dropped it...

He placed Yasuo on Ying and looked around and found Yasuo's mitten on the floor 2 metres away from her bed.

Roy: There... Found it... Probably fell onto the floor just now in all the commotion...

He looked at Yasuo, feet kicking and hands flying everywhere while lying on Ying, who in contrast was still motionless as before.

Roy: Stay here Yasuo... Daddy will go over to get your mitten... I'll be back in a jiff... Stay still okay...

Roy stood up and walked over to the mitten on the floor. He bent down to pick it up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Roy: YASUO!!!!

When Roy's back was turned, Yasuo had slowly kicked his way to the edge of Ying's body and was dangerously going to fall off her bed. And since he was away from the bed, he wouldn't be able to make it in time to stop him from falling.

No comments: