Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Destined 遐想 - Chapter 31

Chapter 31: Roy's...

All good things must come to an end...

And time passes very fast when you are having fun...

Soon the vacation month have passed, and Ning and Ting have returned to Singapore. Seeing them off at the airport was painful for me, as I knew that not much further in the future, I would be doing the same thing, and it would be even more painful, as I've spent a longer time here with everyone. And I was never good with goodbyes... I always cried at such events...

Ning: Jun... So we'll keep in touch... You're to call me everyday okay? Or MSN me...

Jun: Or go see you in Singapore...


Ning smiled.

Ning: Yeah...

They hugged each other.

Ting: Show... I'll miss you... You'll keep in contact yeah? And visit me when you can?

Show: Yes... Of cos... I'll miss you too... How I wished that I could leave with you too...


Ting planted a soft kiss on Show's cheek, and hugged him.

Ying's thoughts: I can't bear to see this anymore... I feel like I'm going to start crying...

I turned away from the two couples, and took a few steps away. I held on to the pendant that Roy had given me.

Ying's thoughts: I don't think I can bear to leave when I have to...

Then I saw Roy rushing into the airport. When I saw him I almost broke down in tears. I walked away to sit down at the benches. I didn't want the others to see me cry...

Milk: Roy!!! Over here!!!


Milk spotted Roy and waved to catch his attention. When Roy saw us, he ran over. He said his goodbyes to the girls first.

Milk: I think you better go to Ying... I think she's quite upset...

Roy glanced over at me. I was sitting at the benches some distance away, staring into space with my head down. Roy nodded to Milk before walking over to me. He squatted down in front of me.

Roy: So... What's upsetting my dear now?

Ying: It's nothing... I'm just never good with goodbyes... I always...

He got up and sat beside me, pulling me into his arms.

Roy: It's okay... I'm here now... I'll help you through this...

Ying's thoughts: You can help me through this... But you won't be there when it's time for me to go....


Tears welled up in my eyes, I blinked hard to force them back, and I pulled him closer to me.

Roy's thoughts: I know you'll be leaving soon too... I'll make sure that we make the most of the time we still have together...

Zax: Eh you two... The girls have to go in now...


We pulled ourselves apart and walked over to the rest.

Ying: Take care during the flight... Have a safe journey...

I hugged them.

Ting: We'll see you back in Singapore soon...

My heart broke when I heard what Ting said. I forced back my tears and replied a faint yes. I pulled myself away from the hug and looked down. Ting and Ning hugged the rest and Show and Jun one last time before they entered the gate. Everyone waved bye to them except me. My head was down. I was fighting a fierce internal battle to force my tears back in. And I was losing...

Wilbur: Come on, guys... Let's head on back...


They looked at me. Roy gave them a look to hint to them to leave first. So the rest walked off. Leaving me and Roy behind.

Roy took me in his arms and walked me over to the carpark, where he had parked his motorbike. He helped me onto his bike and put on the safety helmet for me, before hopping on. He grabbed my hands and pulled them around him, and started the vehicle.

As he drove quietly through the highways, my tears started falling from my eyes. They were blown into the wind as we sped through the roads. The sound of the motorbike covered my sobs and the helmet formed the perfect mask to hide my tear-streaked face.

Roy's thoughts: Cry if you need to now... I know you're sad... But only for now... I'll take you somewhere nice to cheer you up...


Roy drove for a very long time, and when he stopped the motorbike, my tears had already dried. And I was very tired and having a headache from all the crying. Roy pulled my hands away from his waist and got off the bike. He took off his helmet, and took mine off too. Then he helped me get down from his bike.

Ying: Where are we?

I looked around, we were near the sea, and there was a field of sunflowers beside where his bike was parked. A house could be seen not far away.

Roy: Somewhere where you'll forget all your sorrows... Come...

He took my hand in his and pulled me towards the beach.

Ying: Wait... my shoes... I don't wanna get them wet...


I reached down to take them off, but Roy squatted down and took them off for me thoughtfully. I smiled at him. And when he got up, he grabbed me and lifted me in his arms and started running towards the sea.

Ying: Roy!!!! Wait!!! Don't!!!!

Roy stopped when he reached the water. I gave a sigh of relief.

Ying: I thought you were going to...

*Splash*


He dropped me into the water. I got a shock of my life when he dropped me into the water and I struggled a bit to get myself oriented to get up.

Ying: Roy!!!! What are you trying to do??!!!! I'm drenched!!!


Roy had escaped giggling, onto land before I could get out. I was standing in the water, drenched from head to toe, and shouting at him. He turned back and looked at me. He suddenly had a stunned look on his face.

Roy's thoughts: Oh gosh... Her clothes are all....

I looked down at myself, and realised that my top was all sticking onto my body like plaster. I shielded myself with my arms, and tried to pull the top away from my body.

Ying: You're not gonna get away with this....

When I tried to come out of the water, he started running further away. Then I started chasing him around the beach once I got out of the water.

Of course he was faster than me. As a volleyball school team player, he was already fitter and faster than me before I was all drenched, and now drenched, I was no match for him at all. I gave up after a few rounds and sat down on the sand to catch my breath and to try to squeeze some of the water out of my wet clothes.

Roy came over when he saw me sit down to rest and dry my clothes. When he sat down beside me, I shifted myself away from him. Then he shifted himself nearer again. And again I shifted away. And he shifted himself again. And again I tried to shift away. But this time, he grabbed my arm.

Roy: You're not angry are you? It was meant to be a prank... To cheer you up...


I kept silent and continued squeezing water out from my clothes.

Roy: If you're angry with me... I...


Then he got up and started walking towards the water.

Ying: Roy... What are you doing?!!! Come back!!! Get out of the water!!!!

He had walked into the water and was standing in knee high waters. He turned around.

Ying: ROY!!!! GET BACK HERE!!! I'M NOT ANGRY WITH YOU!!! COME OUT OF THE WATER NOW!!!

Roy smiled, and he closed his eyes and free-falled into the water. I dashed into the water when I saw him do that.

Ying: ROY!!! WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO!????

I helped him get out of the water into a standing position.

Ying: Don't you know it's dangerous to free-fall like that into unchartered waters... You never know what is under the murky water... Don't ever...

He interrupted me by pulling me into his arms.

Roy: It's so nice to have you worrying about me... I'll never get tired of hearing you nagging at me... At least I know you care a lot for me... Like I do... for you...

He pulled himself away from me to take a look at me. I looked up at him.

Roy: Promise me you'll never stop worrying about me...

Ying: I won't...


Roy: I love you...


Ying: I love you too....


Roy leaned down and pulled me nearer to him with his arm around my neck. Then he kissed me. This time it was not a peck on my forehead. He was kissing me on my lips. And it was intense. At first, I was shocked and my eyes were wide opened when he kissed me. But I felt like I was slowly melting in his arms as he kissed me. When I gave in to the kiss, and slipped my arms around him, he pulled me into a tighter embrace. After a very long kiss, his lips left mine. And he looked lovingly at me.

Roy: Sorry I got you all wet... But I do hope you're feeling better?

I smiled.

Ying: That's okay... I got my "revenge" already... You've drenched yourself too...

He grinned, and started walking out of the water, while holding onto my hand and pulling me along with him. He grabbed my shoes from the sand and walked towards the house.

Ying: Where are we going?


Roy: Somewhere special...


Ying: Oh...


I followed him to the house. Then he rummaged through his pockets and whisked out a key, which he opened the door of the house with. He went inside. I stood outside at the door, not knowing whether to go in or not.

Roy: Come on in... Don't worry... It's safe...


I walked in after him and looked around the house. It was a traditional household with minimalistic deco. But strangely the furniture were all kept quite clean, and it looked like it was still occupied.

Ying: Roy... How come you have the key to the house? It looks occupied...

Roy: Cos it's my house... I live here...

Ying: Huh???!!!! I thought you stayed in the student hostel??


Roy: Yeah... That's where I stay during weekdays... During weekends I come back here...


Ying: Your parents???


Roy: They're divorced... I stay with my mum... But she's gone back to our hometown to visit my grandparents for the month... So the house is empty...


Ying: Oh.... I see...

Ying's thoughts: No wonder he's so anti-social... An only child in a single parent household... Wait... He said the house is empty... That means...

Roy: Yeah... We have the whole house to ourselves...


He stepped nearer to me and placed his hands on my shoulders.

Roy: Come... Let's get you out of these wet clothes before you catch a cold...


He led me up to a room with an attached bathroom.

Roy: You can shower here, I'll go get dry clothes for you to change into...

And he left the room. I looked around the room. It was probably a guest room. There was nothing there except a bed and a side table. I entered the bathroom. There was a bath tub. I plugged the tub, and started running warm water from the tap and poured in some bath salts.

*Knock knock*


Ying: Come on in...


Roy: Here's a towel and some dry clothes... I'll leave you to wash up... See you in a bit...


He leaned in and gave a peck on my forehead, before leaving the room again. I walked back into the bathroom and locked the door. I took off my wet clothes and soaked them in soapy water at the sink, and submerged myself into the bath tub. The water was warm and very comfortable. I closed my eyes to enjoy the relaxing sensation.

*Knock knock*

Roy: You're not done yet?


I jerked up from the bath tub. I had dozed off in the tub and forgot about Roy waiting for me.

Ying: I'll be done in a bit... Sorry...

Roy: I'll see you downstairs at the kitchen then.... When you're done...

I unplugged the tub, and started showering. After 15 minutes, I reached for the towel to dry myself and stepped out from the tub. I took the clothes that he had prepared for me, and held it up. It was probably one of his shirts.

Ying's thoughts: Oh no... I have no ...


As I had soaked my clothes in soapy water earlier, and fallen asleep, I had no choice but to change into his shirt, without anything underneath. Fortunately for me, his shirt was black, and it was quite long, till knee-length for me, so it wasn't obvious that there was nothing underneath...

I rinsed out my clothes and wried them as dry as I could and hanged them on the shower line to dry. Then I closed the bathroom door when I went out, and left the room to look for Roy.

He was in the kitchen preparing something when I went down.

Ying: I'm done...


Roy looked up at me from what he was doing when he heard my voice. His eyes scanned down my body. I felt awkward standing there as I was afraid that he would realise that there was nothing underneath his shirt...

Roy's thoughts: Hmmmm.... Didn't know my old shirt would look so different.... On her...


Ying: erm... You're making something?


I asked, trying to change the topic from me to something else.

Roy: Yeah... I'm making some soup for us...


I walked over to the stove and took a whiff from the open pot.

Ying: Hmmm... Smells nice... Can't wait to try it...


As I walked over to the stove, I was now beside Roy. He took a whiff.

Roy: You smell nice too...


I turned and looked at him.

Ying's thoughts: I cannot let him come too near me. Otherwise he'll realise that I'm not wearing anything under...

Consciously, I stepped away from the stove and sat myself down at the counter, and propped my head with my hand.

Ying: I'll just sit here and wait for my food then... Since I see you don't need any help...

Roy smiled from the stove and turned back give the soup a couple of stirs before placing a lid over the pot. Then he walked over. My eyes followed him as he walked over, as I felt very awkward and conscious in my state. I was worried that he would come too near... Fortunately for me, he just sat himself beside me, and propped his head up with his hand, facing me.

Roy: You'll have to wait a while then... The soup needs some time...

Ying: So... are we going to sit here and look at each other? Or is there anything else we can do?

Roy: Sorry... What a bad host I am... I'll show you around the house first? How's that?

I slided myself cautiously off the chair.

Ying: That sounds good... Let's start the tour...

He got off his seat and took my hand, pulling me around the house, from the kitchen, to the living room, to the study, to his mum's room.... I was very self-conscious during the house tour, and I was escaping from him everytime he tried to put his arms anywhere near me.

Ying's thoughts: How much longer do I have before my clothes will dry? I wonder if he has a dryer or iron to speed things up...

Ying: Erm... Roy... Is there a dryer in your laundry room?

Roy looked at me curiously.

Roy: Yeah... Why?

Ying: *sigh* You should have said so earlier!!! Then I don't have to...

Roy: Huh?!!

Ying: Erm... nothing... Where's the laundry room? Can you show it to me?

Roy: Okay...

He walked blurly to the laundry room, with me nudging him from behind.

Roy: Here's the laundry room... There's the washing machine... And the dryer....

Ying: YES!!!!

Roy: Why are you so excited about my laundry room???!!!

Ying: Nothing... I just need to dry my... wet clothes...

Roy: Oh... I almost forgot...

Ying: I'll go get them now...

Roy: Wait... I'll...

Before he could finish his sentence, I had turned to dash back up into the guest room and grabbed my wet clothes from the showerline. I buried my undies within my clothes and took them down to the laundry room. Roy was still standing blurly at the laundry room when I dashed back down.

Ying: Back...

Roy: Wow... Aren't you excited about getting your clothes dry...

Ying: Yeah...

I was going to put my clothes into the dryer when I suddenly realised that Roy was still there.

Ying: Erm... why don't you go check on the soup while I dry my clothes?

I started nudging him towards the door.

Roy: Okay... okay... You don't have to push me out... I get the hint...

He left the laundry room. Hurriedly I separated my clothes and placed them into the dryer. Once the machine started, I breathed a sigh of relief. I leaned against the dryer and glazed into the dryer door and watched as the clothes spun around inside.

Ying's thoughts: Come on... Hurry up and dry... So I can at least wear something under before I get out...

Roy popped his head into the laundry room and noticed me squatting beside the dryer and staring at the door. He squatted down beside me and looked into the dryer, then at me.

Roy: What are you looking at?

Ying: ROY!!! When did you come in?!!!!

I got a shock and fell backwards onto the floor. The shirt flipped up and came up mid thigh. I tugged consciously at the shirt and tried to push myself up. Roy looked at me and tried to come nearer to help me back up. I panicked when I saw him come nearer.

Ying: Don't come any closer!!!!

He got a shock and stopped dead in his tracks.

Roy: I... I... I just wanted to help you up...

Ying: Erm... I'm fine.... Sorry... I... I...

Roy: Is there something wrong?

Ying: Can you give me some time alone here... There are some things I need to settle first....

Roy looked at me worriedly.

Ying: Don't worry... I'm fine... I just need some time here alone...

Roy: Okay... I'll be just outside if you need me...

He got up and left the room, closing the door behind him. I scrambled up from the floor once he left the room.

Ying's thoughts: That was close... He must have got a shock when I shouted at him just now... Aish~ How much longer does this thing need to dry a few pathetic piece of clothes...

*Beep beep beep beep*

Ying's thoughts: At last...

I opened the dryer door immediately and grabbed my clothes from inside. I fumbled through to find my undies. When I found them, I walked towards the door and leaned against it, to make sure that it won't open suddenly when I was changing, and hurriedly put them on underneath Roy's shirt.

Roy was leaning on the wall beside the laundry room, waiting anxiously for me to come out. He glanced worriedly at the door, but he kept his promise and left me alone inside without any disturbance. I emerged from the laundry room after a while, grabbing onto my dry clothes. He looked at me when I emerged. But I ran back up into the guest room to dump my clothes there. He was left dumbstruck as I ran past him just when he walked towards me.

Roy's thoughts: What is she doing? She's making me all worried and anxious, not telling me anything... And running here and there everytime I try to get near her...

I dashed back down the stairs again, and this time I missed a step in my haste and slipped and fell.

Ying: OUCH!!!

Roy dashed over when he heard me shout. When he saw that I had slipped and fallen on the stairs, he rushed over to me.

Roy: Are you okay? Does it hurt anywhere?

Ying: No... I landed on my butt... So I guess I'm fine... Nowhere seems to hurt... Serves me right for running up and down the stairs...

I pushed myself up, and Roy put his arm around me to help me down the stairs. This time I didn't shy away from him, as I knew I was safe. He looked at me when I didn't avoid his arm. I smiled at him.

Ying: Something wrong?

Roy: Nope... But I was worried you'll scream again when I put my arm around you...

I looked at him apologetically.

Ying: Sorry, Roy... I shouldn't have shouted at you just now... You were just trying to help... And you didn't know...

Roy: Huh?

Ying: Nevermind... Let's go grab some soup now yeah... I'm famished from all the running...

I rubbed my tummy in hunger. Roy smiled. He took my hand and led me back to the kitchen.

No comments: