Saturday, June 16, 2007

Serendipity 奇缘 - Chapter 34

Chapter 34: When rules don't apply...

I had just got off the metro and she was walking from the station towards the office, which was a couple of blocks away. That was when I saw that there was a man lying on the ground, half of his body was on the street, and the other half was on the pavement.

Is that man okay? I looked around at the area, there was a few people purchasing their breakfast from a stall nearby, and one or two people walking by. How come no one's helping him?

I walked over to the man, as I had to take the path to go to the office. There was no other route. And when I walked near the man, I managed to get a better look at him. His face was sore and bloody, and his hands were stretched out in front of his chest in a spastic kind of way, and his eyes were half open and half closed. He seemed to be in a sort of daze. I thought I should tap his shoulder to ask if he was alright.

Kiki: Excuse me, sir... Are you alright?

When I tapped the man's shoulder, he suddenly reached out his hand and grabbed me. I got a shock from his sudden action, and fell backwards onto the ground, dropping my bag on the ground too. The man started pushing himself up from the ground, while still holding on to me. I tried to help him up. When he was finally at a standing position, I helped him to the side of the pavement.

Kiki: Ajushi, do you need an ambulance? Gwenchanayo?

I asked helpfully. But the man was staring at me with a weird look, and I started to feel a bit scared. I looked around and the people buying breakfast had already dispersed. And the road was quite deserted.

Man: Miss... Do you have any money for me? I wanna get some beer...

Kiki's thoughts: So much for being helpful. So he is just a drunkard...


I was disgusted. How can someone be drunk so early in the day? There was no way I was going to give him money to buy himself more beer. But the man was grabbing onto me still, and I couldn't get away.

Kiki: Ajushi, I think you better get some medication first... As for the money... Mian hamnida... I have none...

I tried to push his hand away, but instead he tightened his grip on me. His face turned angry and violent when I refused to give him money. Now I was really feeling scared, and there was no one around to offer me assistance.

Man: SHUT THE F**K UP! BITCH! DON'T BULLS**T ME!!! GIVE ME THE MONEY!!!!

And he reached for my bag, while still grabbing me. I tried to swerve my bag away to stop him from grabbing it. But I was unsuccessful. He grabbed my bag and tried to pull it to him. I resisted and he glared at me murderously.

Man: GIVE ME YOUR MONEY NOW, OR YOU'RE GONNA BE SORRY!!!!

I tried to give another tug to pull my bag back from him. And this made him even more angry. He released his hand on my bag and me, and I fell backwards onto the ground when I tugged it again. I struggled to get back up, as I saw him walking towards me angrily.

Kiki: OUCH!!!!

My ankle was hurt when I fell backwards, and I couldn't get up fast enough. The man was already in front of me, he grabbed me again, and raised his hand up.

Kiki's thoughts: Oh no... I think he's gonna hit me!!!

I closed my eyes and tried to block his attack with my hands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jaejoong was driving towards the office with the cup of cafe latte that he had bought for Kiki, when he saw her talking to a guy by the pavement. He stopped his car nearby across the street, and got off the car. He wanted to get her to hop on so that he could drive her to the office.

This was when he saw her struggle with the guy for her bag, and the man pushing her to the ground. Jaejoong got worried when he saw that and he dashed across the road immediately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Man: OUCH!!!! LET GO OF ME!!! YOU CRAZY MAN!!! LET GO OF ME!!!

I opened my eyes when I heard the man's shouts, and I was relieved that someone had helped me subdue the drunkard before he managed to hit me. When I looked up, I realised that the person who helped me was....

Kiki: JOONGIE!!!!

Man: LET GO OF ME!!!!

Jaejoong had grabbed the man by his two arms and had crossed them behind him so that he couldn't do anything more. He pushed him to the side of the pavement, and leaned against him with his body to prevent him from struggling.

Jaejoong: Kiki, hurry and get some help!!!

Kiki: Oh... HELP!!! HELP!!! SOMEBODY!!! HELP!!!!

Some people were just walking out from the metro station, and when they heard my cries of help, they rushed forward and helped Jaejoong subdue the drunkard. Once Jaejoong had his hands free, he dashed over to me.

Jaejoong: Gwenchanayo? Did he hurt you?

I looked at him and shook my head. And I tried to stand up again. Then I felt a sharp jab of pain on my ankle, and I remembered that my ankle was hurt when the man pushed me to the ground. I fumbled a bit to stand up straight.

Kiki: I think I twisted my ankle when I fell just now... Other than that I think I'm fine...

Jaejoong: Come, take a seat over there, and let me take a look...

Jaejoong helped me over to the side of the pavement.

Man: Miss, do you want us to help you call the police?

A passerby came over and asked me. Before I could reply...

Jaejoong: Ne, kamsahamnida.

The man walked away to make the call. Jaejoong turned his attention back to my injured ankle.

Jaejoong: Let me see...

He squatted down in front of me, and took off my shoe gently. I squirmed when he did that, as my ankle hurt quite badly. It was already swollen and red. He looked at it, and poked the ankle gently. I closed my eyes as the pain shot through my body.

Jaejoong: It's quite a nasty twist... I think you'd better go see a doctor now...

Kiki: But I still gotta go to work...

Man: Miss, you need to go make a police report at the nearby station before you can leave. We'll take the man over to the station now...

I looked at the man reluctantly.

Kiki: Okay...

Man: Sir, do you know this miss? If so, why don't you help her to the station, since she obviously can't walk in this state...

Jaejoong: Ne... Kamsahamnida ajushi...

Jaejoong turned back to me. Then he turned around with his back facing me.

Jaejoong: Get on my back Kiki... I'll carry you over to the station...

I looked at him in shock. There was no way I could do that... Cos we were not supposed to be seen together in public.

Kiki: But Jaejoong... It's... We...

Jaejoong turned and looked at me.

Jaejoong: Come on... It's an emergency... Disregard the rules... There's no time to argue about rules now... Get on....

He looked at me seriously. I swallowed hard, and leaned forward to get onto his back. Once he felt my arms go round his neck, he grabbed my legs with his hands and lifted me up, before I could grab my bag.

Kiki: Erm... Jaejoong... My bag...

Jaejoong turned his head slightly and realised that my bag was still on the ground. He lowered his body and let me grab my bag. Once I got it, he stood back up and started walking towards the station.

On the way to the station, we didn't say anything to each other. He just walked silently, and since I was on his back, and I didn't dare to lean too close to him, I couldn't see his face too. Suddenly he stopped.

Kiki: Are we there already?

Jaejoong: Anio...

Kiki: Then why are you stopping?

Jaejoong turned his head, but I leaned back more when he did.

Jaejoong: Can you hold on properly? I feel like you are falling off my back...

I looked down embarassingly.

Kiki: Mianeyo...

And I leaned forward against his back, and tightened my arms around his neck. His face was right next to mine now.

Jaejoong: That's better...

Jaejoong smiled and continued walking. After a while, we finally reached the station. He carried me into the station, and lowered himself to let me sit at a chair, before sitting on the chair next to me.

We finished getting our statements taken by the police. And Jaejoong squatted down in front of me again, hinting for me to get on his back again.

Kiki: Erm... I think it's okay... You don't have to carry me...

This time, Jaejoong didn't even respond to me at all. He just pulled my arms round his neck, and lifted me up immediately. As he lifted me up, I immediately held on to him for dear life, as I knew that my ankle couldn't take another fall. He turned to look at me when he stood up, before starting to walk back to where his car was parked.

When he reached his car, he opened the door for me with one hand, while holding me with the other. When the door was open, he lowered himself down to let me sit down on the seat. Once I had sat down, he turned himself around and squatted in front of me, and took my hands in his.

Jaejoong: Honey.... You gave me such a scare just now... I almost died when I saw the man going to hit you...

Kiki: Jaejoong....

Jaejoong: Promise me next time you'll not take such risks anymore... The man was a drunkard... You could have gotten hurt...

Kiki: I've learned my lesson now... I won't dare go near people like that again...

Jaejoong looked up at me. His face looked so worried.

Jaejoong: Nothing would have happened if I had accompanied you to the office...

Kiki: It's not your fault Joongie... You know we can't...

Jaejoong: I know... *sigh*

He got up, closed the car door, and walked over to the driver's seat and got on.

Jaejoong: We'd better get you to the doctor's now... And let him take a look at your ankle...

Jaejoong smiled, and started his car. I smiled and reached to put on my seat belt. As my head tilted down to secure the seat belt, I saw a cup of coffee in the cupholder.

Kiki: Joongie... Why is there a cup of coffee in your car?

I reached over to feel the cup.

Kiki: And it's still lukewarm...

Jaejoong glanced down at the cup.

Jaejoong: Oh... that was meant for you... cos you didn't get to drink your coffee in the morning... I was afraid that you might get headaches later in the day, since you haven't had your daily dose of caffeine yet...

Kiki: You mean you brought it specially over for me just because of that?

Jaejoong: Yeah... I didn't want you to get a headache... So I...

The traffic light became red, and he stopped the car. I leaned over to give him a peck on his cheek.

Kiki: Thanks Joongie... You're such a sweetheart...

Jaejoong turned and looked at me in surprise. I took the cup of coffee from the cupholder and took a sip.

Jaejoong: I thought you said no kissing in public...

Kiki: Yeah... but it's an emergency now... so rules don't apply... hee hee...

I smiled and continued drinking my coffee, while he started the car again as the lights turned green.

No comments: